April 8, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

An angry letter to VUW

Dear VUW,

I have a question regarding your management of student’s education and the provision of appropriate support for students that you claim to undertake. I write regarding your inability to provide exam timetables for students so late into the academic year.

Why is this taking so long? Students from all areas of the University are getting rather annoyed. Already, Official information requests submitted by students have found that you know how many classes you have, you know how many exams you need to hold, and you know how many students are enrolled in those classes. Why then, have you not provided rooms for final assessment, and a timetable which details this? You have provided answers to the first three questions. Why not the last?

Other universities seem to be able to provide students with timetables at the beginning of the academic year. Some of them are far larger than the one on our humble hill. Some of them have less staff. Some of them have more courses. You can not use variants of these factors in your defense.

This is not an attack with no justification. Unlike drunken and immature first years, some students actively plan and schedule their university lives. Many have families overseas, and wish to secure cheap flights home early. This cant be done without the necessary information from VUW. Others may have children, who would require looking after during these examinations, and perceivably also in the lead up to examinations. Some students may wish to reward themselves post-exam time, a holiday, a rock band playing somewhere in the country, or a tournament overseas are all viable choices.

Without informed and proper timetabling this university is leaving students in an academic limbo. We are held hostage by the apparently incompetent tentacles of an ineffective behemoth.  I implore you to actively pursue this issue with the utmost vigour. The students of this university demand it.

Conrad Reyners

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. peteremcc says:

Agreed.

Incidently, where did your last post about Joel/Free Printing go Conrad?

2. Jackson Wood says:

Which post was that Peter? I cannot remember the name of it. Just looked in the back end of the site and cannot find any deleted ones (not surprising if someone deleted it though…). This is interesting.

3. Peter/Jackson – im having problems getting the image to display properly – also it seemed to refuse to go to the article if you clicked “more”

Were you having that problem?

4. Fixed it, had to redo it. Its up now.

5. Sarita says:

Hear hear!!!
    It’s actually ridiculous. They’re all just lazy ol’ buggers.

At any rate, I, for one, have study-procrastination plans to make.

PS. I object to being stereotyped as a drunken first year!