Eye on Exec: Part 1 & 2

Part 1

I hate VUWSA exec meetings. So the fact that I was forced to attend last week’s one (there was no one else available) is unlikely to be a good start. However, the upside is that nothing newsworthy or minimally exciting happened – the downside being that I lost an hour of my time in order to report this.

Most of the meeting was conducted in committee, which I’m not about to complain about since I didn’t have to write anything down. They ate pizza, there are now numbers on the pages of their agenda (hasn’t been a great job, in my professional opinion – as Campaigns Officer Sonny Thomas told President Joel Cosgrove, “The time it took you to put it together doesn’t really justify the job”) and the exec apparently accept apologies for absences from fellow members via Bebo.

Also, exec members now face losing their wages if they don’t submit their reports. To quote Welfare Vice-President Melissa Barnard: “Do you hear? That’s the sound of no one caring.”

Anyway, the only point I can report (read: the only report I can be bothered reporting) from last week’s meeting is that Treasurer Alex Neilson is drafting a timetable so the exec can re-budget and avoid a big money fuck-up, which I kind of hope happens anyway because it would make my job exciting.

By Seonah Choi

Part 2 (April 9 Meeting)

The Exec spent the first half-hour of their meeting talking with BDO Spicers, who had kindly trudged all the way up Kelburn hill to explain the scope of their review of VUWSA’s administration and finances.

While I would love to tell you some of the details of this discussion, due to a dastardly act of press censorship (or, as is more likely, a typo) the agenda the Exec sent out for their meeting told Salient that it began at 6 p.m. rather than 5:30 p.m., so…. yeah. Instead of witnessing the ins and outs of the exec’s attempts to dig VUWSA out of financial strife, I arrived for a nice bit of conversing about flu shots: Welfare Vice-President Melissa Barnard explained how she was bringing free flu-shots to our satellite campuses.

President Joel Cosgrove and Campaigns Officer Sonny Thomas then detailed their planning for the next day’s $10 billion student debt protest. This consisted in dropping off leaflets and intentionally not calling the police to prepare them for a march down Lambton Quay. As we discovered the next day, Massey University of Wellington’s Student Association (MAWSA) had liaised with them anyway.

Speaking of MAWSA, following planning for the protest, most of the Exec began a general bitching session about their Massey counterparts before moving into committee. They briefly moved out of committee for the meeting’s chairperson Barnard to pass the motion “That VUWSA form a working party consisting of Joel Cosgrove, Katie de Roo, Paul Brown and Alexander Neilson, pending acceptance, to liaise on any issues relating to New Zealand School of Music (NZSM),” (given the disagreement over exactly how NZSM student levies are split between VUWSA and MAWSA). The motion was unanimously accepted after Barnard’s initial motion, “That VUWSA forms a working party to work out how to invade Massey University,” was rejected.

The meeting then came out of committee and promptly ended, allowing Barnard and UniQ President Nathan Cooper to discuss Max Mosley’s Nazi sex antics.

By Tristan Egarr