Film School decision made

A “working group” will be established by the University to develop a proposal for a Centre for Film Studies and Digital Media in response to staff and student feedback on earlier proposals to replace the existing Film Studies programme with a Visual Arts degree.

“This is one of the key decisions arising from consultation with staff and students regarding the proposed establishment of a Visual Culture Cluster at Victoria University,” said Deborah Willis, Pro Vice-Chancellor and Dean Humanities and Social Sciences.

The University received over 100 submissions on the original proposal. Willis said the proposal was developed in response to the University’s Investment Plan, which emphasises the need to enhance the University’s interdisciplinary strengths in the creative disciplines.

“Film Studies at Victoria has the potential to become the leading tertiary film programme within New Zealand and the aim of the working group is to further explore how this can be achieved,” Willis said.

“The submissions were comprehensive and gave us many ideas. I would like to thank all staff and students that took the time to make a submission.”

Willis added that the University had also decided to appoint a Professor of Art History, who will facilitate the establishment of a Centre for Art Research and Museum Studies.

“We have decided to strengthen our existing collaborative initiatives between Art History, Museum and Heritage Studies and the Adam Art Gallery.”

Among the the key tasks for the working group include “[articulating] a strategic vision for film at Victoria,” “[contributing] to a proposal for funding from the Tertiary Education Commision,” and “[developing] curriculum.”

1. Bionic Master says:

what a load of fucking shit. film at vic has no future with people like harriet margolis, tim groves and lee-jane involved.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn