April 7, 2008 | by  | in Opinion |

Would You Torture for Profit

Of course you wouldn’t – that would be morally indefensible! Knowingly causing suffering just to make a buck would be a horrendous thing to do. Appallingly, even in New Zealand, people torture hundreds of thousands of those around them in order to make more money.

Would you support these torturers? Of course you wouldn’t! It would be inexcusable to support such evil. Tragically, even in New Zealand, many people support these torturers financially – exactly the kind of support they need to continue torturing.

And what is the torture I speak of? And, who carries out the most terrible of deeds? And, who supports them by funding the torture?

The torture is the unnecessary suffering that hundreds of thousands of animals, including very intelligent ones such as pigs and beagles, are forced to endure to make various food and beauty products that little bit cheaper. Non-human animals may not be as smart as most of us but they still suffer terribly when forced to live unnaturally in ghastly conditions; confined in hideously tiny cruel crates and cages, having their beaks seared off or having chemicals burned into their eyes and skin.

The torturers are the companies that make their profits by causing animals to suffer so that they can undercut the few decent companies that refuse to lower themselves to torture for a few extra bucks. While companies that torture animals could opt for ethical alternatives, instead they shamefully choose not to because of greed. However, if no one financially supported these companies, then they would soon change their ways.

The supporters of these wicked profiteers include anyone who purchases food or products from greedy companies that torture animals in their rampant pursuit of wealth. So, the next time you are at Pak ‘n’ Save looking for a deal, think about the needless torture of innocent animals in the name of greed and ask yourself if you want to support that.

The lowest prices can come at a much higher moral cost. Make your few cents count.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June