24 jobs may go at Faculty of Education

The University’s Education Faculty is facing the possibility of 24 job cuts and the loss of one of its four schools in response to its $1.7 million budget blowout.

The financial problems of the Faculty have been attributed to one school experiencing a growth of 16 per cent in costly courses and another school being staffed beyond its budget.

Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education) Dugald Scott added that significant increases in teacher salaries were another contributory factor to the Faculty’s financial situation.

The proposed restructuring of the Faculty is expected to see more emphasis placed on research. Scott says the changes are in response to the University’s Investment Plan, which in turn “emphasises the need to enhance the University’s strengths.”

”There is an objective in Victoria’s current strategic plan that emphasises the need to increase postgraduate research degree completions, and the changes proposed for the Faculty of Education are in designed to help the University achieve that objective.”

When questioned about the possible axing of jobs, Scott said staffing levels across the Faculty were being addressed this week in the second phase of staff consultation.

“It is proposed that some general and academic staff positions be disestablished.” However, Scott added that he did not believe the job cuts would affect the quality of teaching students received.

“The changes already agreed by the University Council about the Faculty structure, along with increased emphasis on research-led training are designed to support the development of a more academically robust and effective teaching programme.

1. There’s a New Editor
1