May 19, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Album Review: The Presets – Apocalypso

I saw a review recently saying something along the lines of “not everyone likes dance-punk” in reference to the album Apocalypso by Aussie band The Presets. Well if dance-punk is repetitive beats/ sounds with yelling over the top then, yes, I could understand why people might not like this album. I’ve had a bunch of people rave to me about these (two) musicians, especially their live shows.

However the Presets weren’t playing in my lounge when I was listening to the CD. There are some obviously good songs on there ‘My People’ and ‘Yippiyo-ay’ sound great, a mix of 80’s electronica and the new wave of whatever genre Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem et al fit into, that’s cool, I can identify with that. And this isn’t a bad record per se. Theses guys are great musos who’ve obviously put some thought into what they were doing. There are moments on this record that had me nodding my head and smiling, but there were other moments that left me feeling bored and empty.

I guess I wasn’t fucked up on drugs standing next to a bass bin when I had a listen. Was I not in the “mood/zone” for listening?

I feel kind of bad slating this like I have. Apocalyso just doesn’t feel very coherent as an album. Download the songs, I’d more than recommend that. Have a listen to the album in a store and make a call from there. Go see them live; they’ve got a killer rep for that, I know I definitely will. The album though… Have a listen, if you like that sort of music then jump on it. If you don’t… Don’t you just download a couple of songs nowadays? The Presets are worth having a look at.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos