AUS says Canterbury management “confused”

Canterbury University’s plans to axe 13 jobs and its American Studies, Theatre and Film departments have been tempered, resulting in a number of consequences for the departments involved.

American Studies will remain but will suffer a loss of 4.5 staff, which will create a staff to student ratio of 45, which is the highest of any of the schools at the university.

The decision will also result in Theatre and Film Studies departments staying at the university but they will be separated into different schools. The film department will also have to cut the production side of the course.

The original proposal has never been discussed with staff or students in the faculties.

Association of University Staff (AUS) national president, Associate Professor Maureen Montgomery believes that “this [original] plan does not offer long-term stability to the college of arts and there needs to be an urgent national debate as to what kind of university we want for New Zealand because, at this rate, even history will be history.”

The University plans to resubmit two different models for a new college structure for further consultation with those involved in the proposed changes.

AUS are questioning whether Pro-Vice- Chancellor of Arts Ken Strongman has “fulfilled his contractual obligation to staff requiring that there be an attempt to reach agreement over any planned change.”

AUS believe that these plans show “just how confused management is when it comes to running a university” and that the plans question the long term sustainability of the college.

The plans implementation will take place later in the year.