Budget 2008: Students get less shat on by the Government

The Government announced a tertiary student support package worth $130.8 million in operational funding and $24.4 million in capital funding over four years in its 2008 Budget released last Thursday.

Among the initiatives last week include a 10 per cent increase in the parental threshold for a full student allowance, set to benefit 12,000 students a year, as well as an increase in the maximum student loan living costs component, from $150 per week to $155 per week.

The age limit for student allowances’ parental income testing is also set to be lowered from 25 to 24, and a 50 per cent expansion of the Bonded Merit Scholarship Scheme is planned, increasing the total number of scholarships to 1,500 each year.

“With this Budget, the lot of the individual student continues to improve,” Tertiary Education Minister Pete Hodgson said.

Hodgson added that the measures announced last week will build on the Government’s previous initiatives targeted at tertiary education students.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.