May 26, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

Cosgrove: Hated by graduates, loves thy penis. Continued

As most’ve you have probably seen in the pages of Salient this week, Cosgrove offered an apology of sorts. The first post about this issue has overflowed with comments in support and against Joel, so we’ve put up another post. Please check out the story in this weeks Salient about the controversy, as well as the letters to Mr. Cosgrove.

> 

Dear Salient

> 

At Graduation on May 16th I wore a t-shirt emblazoned “I (Heart) My Penis”. This T-Shirt is concerned with a campaign run by both VUWSA and the students association of Massey Wellington, it is about raising awareness of the shockingly low levels of male sexual health checks. On leaving the ceremony I was approached by hundreds of students/ parents/ grandparents who were interested in the aims and goals of the campaign. The level of support and encouragement for the campaign itself was something that I took strongly to heart.

>  

That people were offended by this t-shirt, is sad, I did not mean to offend any members of the audience, I didn’t consider the word penis to be “obscene”, I find it worrying that it could be seen in that light. It was a serious t-shirt about a serious issue, namely men’s sexual health.

>  

To those who are offended on behalf of people they assume to be offended or think should be offended. I find that attitude condescending and patronising. If people choose to be offended at the mention of a term like “penis”. That is their choice. That people choose to be offended on behalf of others without reference to whom they are acting on behalf for or why, I find insulting that others feel that they can make broad sweeping statements and usurp the potential offendee’s ability to communicate any displeasure or pleasure at my actions themselves directly to me.

> 

I thought, with Wonder Woman collecting her BTeach, or the woman who turned her thesis into a pink corset, or the music students playing TV themes as graduates walked across stage, that there would be no issue with my t-shirt, as it was not a joke or meant as a laugh like the above situations. That it could be discussed in that manner is worrying.

> 

As I have said on national television. I am sorry to any who are offended by the slogan “I (Heart) My Penis”.

> 

Joel Cosgrove

> 

Do you think that this is adequate? Is it really an apology?

> 

(The comments on the old post have been stopped because there are way too many of them so please feel free to comment away below.)

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. Graeme Edgeler says:

“As I have said on national television. I am sorry to any who are offended by the slogan “I (Heart) My Penis”.”

Except you didn’t. The apology I heard on television went:

“Yeah, I do understand how some would [find it disrespectful], but I fink the most important fing is that it’s not a joke and it’s a really serious campaign and if I’ve done anyfink that’s taken away from that then I apologise for that.”

2. Mmm what I got from it was “I’m not sorry for wearing it, I’m not sorry for upsetting people. I’m sorry you’re all prudes and didn’t understand that it was part of a safe sex campaign (which you in no way could have known, given that it was completely out of context).”

3. Superior Mind says:

Well I wasn’t too offended by the whole slogan thing myself but to be honest I am offended by the fact that our VUWSU President can’t look beyond his beloved penis to try and search for a pair of testicles and apologise properly.

It comes across exactly as Laura says, what a prat.

4. Superior Mind says:

That was meant to be an “A” not a “U” on the end of “VUWS” by the way. An honest typo, they’re, like, right next to each other on the keyboard.

5. Salientpcfreaksgetalife says:

You Salient guys are so UNOBJECTIVE, persons who primarily complained are Laura McQuillan (Blog post by her boyfriend and I can see her being one of only 3 people STILL complaining about it today, get a life!) and Nicola Kean (photos taken by her boyfriend) both who have it in for Joel (read last years of Salient).

You are a bunch of PC freaks, if someone other than Joel had done this (like Geoff da Maori in his shorts and t-shirt at Graduation last year or someone else on his exec the tone would be different on this) you would think they were cool, didn’t at the graduation they play TV themes, graduation is archaic and boring. Losen up I thought students were supposed to rock the boat not get precious about trivial things like the word “Penis”.

Jackson Wood you are a CRAP political editor! Show some objectivity, the tone of your posts – especially here are bitchy and gossipy “Cosgrove offered an apology of sorts” and “Do you think that this is adequate? Is it really an apology?” Come on! It is obvious you hate the guy and want to run a campaign against him, as a journalist aren’t you supposed to show some neutrality, I thought last year’s Salient was really bad, but this year with an immature bunch of twits. There is too much politics in this magazine, why don’t you guys get funny, the top fives are crap… and you are uptight. Woooo PENIS, I HEART MY PENIS! Bet that shocked you!

I didn’t vote for that Joel as he is a dick, (I voted for the A-Team) but even I can see when a bunch of try hard student journalists never give up on something trivial, as you say: “The first post about this issue has overflowed with comments in support and against Joel, so we’ve put up another post.” Well why have only 3 people commented on it today?? It is because no one cares anymore about your crap blogging about this, you are obviously into the dramatic and superficial form of reporting, if I wanted to read crap like this I would read the Dominion Post…

6. Sarah says:

Hello Jackson Wood, good to see you just replied to a legitimate post questioning your obsession with Joel Cosgrove!! How would you know they use Macs in the Salient Office unless you were actually in the Salient office right now posting your comment to that concerned student before you? Or are you at your girlfirend Laura’s instead doing this?. It is SO OBVIOUS it is Salient Staff trying to drive this debate using all the posts on this website. Salientpcfreaksgetalife tried to point out that the only people complaining are your girlfriend and your buddy Nicola.

How would you know poor prose is hopelessly similar to Cosgrove’s and this George, who the F is George anyway? Sounds like you are too close to the pulse of the VUWSA/Salient rivalry, YOU ARE NOT A RANDOM student coming across this thread, you are Jackson Wood or Conrad Reynors sitting in the Salient office waiting for every single comment to score cheap points against the Marxist one. Are you teaming up with that Labour crony Sonny as well? I heard that he doesn’t like anyone else…

I graduated that day and I had no problem with the ceremony.

You guys are boring… Your articles are shit…

7. Superior Mind says:

Seeing as this thread is about Joel’s apology which was released to the wider student community just today I think discussion on this is valid and can’t really be attributed to Salient’s apparent attempts to discredit the guy.

SalientPCfre- whatever your name is; practice sharing your opinions without going insane and writing gibberish. It doesn’t do you any credit.

8. TalkingHead says:

It’s so obvious it is you Woody…

9. Critical_Lemon says:

It’s so obvious everyone is being immature….

10. I don’t have a problem with Salient continuing to air legitimate grievances about Cosgrove’s presidency, and this incident fits that bill like a glove.

However, I think this ball of yarn’s been unwound as far as it can go. Cosgrove’s offered an apology, and should the should the student body deem that apology to be, well, insufficient, then no doubt they will air their opinions accordingly come election time (if Joel does indeed seek re-election).

11. Does it matter if I’m Jackson’s girlfriend? Because I’m not..

You’re also forgetting that Nicola and I both graduated in the aforementioned ceremony. I’m not bitching, I’m merely putting across my point of view – that the STI check message was lost on the occasion. If you can’t handle that, then please fuck off.

As for Jackson being Superior Mind – he may have been a bit busy at 9:14pm today, but he can fill you in.

12. Pete Turangi says:

What should really be of concern is not the rivalry, or perceived rivalry of those involved in the VUWSA/Salient divide, the opinion of those writing replies to this ‘blog’ (read: not political column) post, or even the skill of the contributors to the pages of Salient. What should be of concern is the reply from the person elected as Victoria University’s Student President to an issue that has caused some offence.

Yeah, it can be up to you to judge whether or not it offended you personally, but if you can think outside your own personal sphere, and understand that some people were definitely upset by Joel’s actions, and have called for an apology – maybe Joel should have given a definitive, measured and thoughtful response to appease them.

If you look at it this way, with all personal feelings aside, then it’s easy to see that Joel has failed to address this. He has also not indicated whether he willl continue to act as he did at this particular ceremony at a future event where he will be acting in the same capacity. As a person of some stature at Victoria Joel should perhaps read his statement again and look to better address the issue in his future words and actions. If I was still at Victoria, regardless of my affiliations and personal convictions, I would be embarrassed by the actions of the Student President – who has failed to see that mitigating against further concern and at least looking like he is serving wider interests than what he has claimed – regardless of their worth – is incredibly important.

Big Picture Joel. Think about it, think, think about it…

13. Superior Mind says:

I’ll confirm that I am not Jackson. That should be enough, I’m sure Jackson has better things to do than be a letter-writing pseudonym. So do I but I thrive on procrastination and I have three essays to write.

14. Jackson Wood says:

YAY Hatemail!

Fuck yeah I love you Salientpcfreaksgetalife.

You’re very correct. You will note my pages are in the opinion part of Salient, so objectivity is left to Seonah, in the news section.
    I do not hate Joel. Gee whiz. If you’d taken the time to read it, and perhaps understand it, you’ll note most of the stuff I have posted, although opinionated (because let’s face it, well all have opinions has been against his actions, not him. Far from it, I think Joel has the potential to be a good president, he is not a silly as he sometimes seems to be.

Sarah, oh Sarah. Why read my posts and articles then? Why take the trouble to tell me how crap I am?

Superior mind isn’t me… I’m not so boastful, and I was kinda in hospital last night. I had a lumbar puncture this morning (after they attempted doing it twice at about 2 am). I was totally out of commission from about 3:30 pm yesterday… So no… you’re wrong sorry.

15. Brunswick says:

Ouch… sorry to hear that, Jackson. As soon as I read ‘hospital’, I thought “the Chinese took their revenge!”

16. Gibbon says:

Hope you get better soon J Man

17. “Losen up I thought students were supposed to rock the boat not get precious about trivial things like the word “Penis”.”

Sigh. Is the collective Marxist consciousness really this thick? For the last fucking time. No one is angry over the word penis or the sexual health campaign. They are angry that Joel’s actions were completely inappropriate. Why is this distinction so hard for you to understand? Salientpcfreak, when you graduate (if you do) you can be as cavalier as you like. As an unelected, unaccountable individual you can moon the crowd if you want too.

But a Student President cant. They are there in their capacity as the representative of ALL students. And as you can tell from the significant backlash, a large proportion of students there did not feel they were being represented. At all.

18. Uvall says:

COSGROVE IS A COMMUNIST!!! VOTE FOR DEMOCRACY, NOT A COMMUNIST DICTATORHIP WITH COSGROVE INVOLVED!!!

19. Gary says:

Next time, someone should spray paint “my” off his shirt. Joel “Hearts” Penis.

20. Ain’t nothing wrong with hearting the penis

21. Stephen Whittington says:

Was anyone else shocked at Joel’s almost complete inability to write properly?

“If people choose to be offended at the mention of a term like “penis”. That is their choice.”

Or surely the best one:

“That people choose to be offended on behalf of others without reference to whom they are acting on behalf for or why, I find insulting that others feel that they can make broad sweeping statements and usurp the potential offendee’s ability to communicate any displeasure or pleasure at my actions themselves directly to me.”

22. Angry Toenail says:

Too bad student presidents don’t have full-time speech writers, right?

23. Sloop John B. says:

or brains…

24. Gibbon says:

or souls

25. Tom says:

or razor blades…

26. Eric says:

That guy is just an attention getter.

1. There’s a New Editor
1