International students ‘overall’ happy in New Zealand, but more work needed

According to Tertiary Education Minister Pete Hodgson and Education Minister Chris Carter, the latest National Survey of International Students shows that while international students had high praise for New Zealand, more work was required to ensure better connections between international students, their domestic peers and support services.

The 2007 survey, commissioned by the Ministry of Education and the Department of Labour, studied more than 2,600 students and showed that international students had an overall positive experience studying in New Zealand.

In comparison with results from a survey conducted in 2003, 53 per cent were likely to recommend New Zealand as a study destination, up from 44 per cent in 2003, and 61 per cent of students surveyed said they intended to apply for permanent residency – an increase of 19 per cent over the last four years.

Hodgson described this as good news. “Not only do fee-paying international students contribute to the economy but on completion of their education, provide a vital pool of skilled and enthusiastic workers for employers.”

“The results show that New Zealand education is a significant national asset and one that we should feel proud of,” Chris Carter said.

However, the survey also demonstrated a need international students felt in areas beyond their education – 34 per cent of students believed making friends was difficult and 61 per cent wanted to have more New Zealand friends.

Both Hodgson and Carter said measures had been taken to alleviate these concerns, including consultation with New Zealand education institutions and communication with community groups and other agencies in New Zealand and China.

International students are estimated to be worth approximately $2 billion a year and latest figures show that numbers – of international students from China, at least – are on the rise.

In 2003 and 2004, universities drew as many as one quarter of their student numbers from overseas, mainly from China. Since then, numbers have been steadily decreasing, a trend also seen in both Australia and the United Kingdom.

However, export-education industry body Education New Zealand has predicted an increase of 20 per cent in numbers of Chinese students for 2007 to 2008, with enrolments likely to exceed 3,500.

“The Chinese student of today is looking around in a fairly discerning way and New Zealand is not coming up short,” Education New Zealand communications director Stuart Boag said.

The organisation’s prediction differs from the report given by Victoria’s Pro-Chancellor (International) Rob Rabel, who says the University’s international enrolments decreased overall in 2008 by about 10 per cent – “almost entirely due to a fall in the number of Chinese students.”

This, Rabel added, is consistent with enrolment trends in most other New Zealand universities.

In order to address the decrease in numbers, which have led to a reduction in the University’s revenue but also more diversification of the international student population, Rabel said the University had increased its international marketing activities in key countries.

“The senior management team [approved] additional expenditure this year to seek to turn around the decline in international student numbers.”

1. pharos says:

55 percent would recommend NZ is not very good. that means 45 percent unhappy

2. kiwi says:

As a International student I believe most of them unhappy what they are facing here , as a result, they move to ossie for their master after BA , they did not say negative about NZ because of poliet and friednly

3. mike the toaster says:

i’m an international student here, and frankly i’m regretting it – we have to pay at least 2x more than local students do! it’s an insanity! I AM NOT GOING TO APPLY FOR THEIR RESIDENCY – I’M NOT EVEN GOING TO APPLY FOR THEIR OPEN WORKPERMIT AFTER I GRADUATE – IT’S NOT WORTH IT – IMMIGRATION NZ ARE NOT GOING TO RECEIVE ANOTHER FROM ME – I’M MOVING TO AUS.

CHANCES OF MAKING FRIENDS, GETTING A GOOD JOB ARE BIGGER OVER THERE!

4. Wee Hamish says:

well, you’re a toaster. people who use you too much just get burnt.

5. Peter Manglethwaite says:

Mike: You knew the cost before coming here. Stop whinging about it. You could have applied for a scholarship or entered into an exchange program.

Obviously you are too stupid to do that.

It is good to that you are going to Australia. To paraphrase our most beloved Prime Minister, Robert Muldoon: The IQ of both countries will go up when you leave.

Well maybe; you’re pretty fucking stupid. With a name like “mike the toaster”, and such basic grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors, which, when placed alongside obvious anger and erectile problems, leads us all to believe that New Zealand will be a much better place when your human smear departs from our shores.

6. Gibbon says:

Oh, I love it how Mike is so lonely that his main reason for moving overseas is because his chances of making friends will increase.

7. bourgeois says:

I don’t think that old cliche about raising both countries’ IQ is relevant anymore. Australia now has a very broad comparative advantage in skills and intellectual capital. Every day more kiwis make the short one way trip across the Tasman in search of a better life and greater opportunity, so the argument is not strictly limited to overseas students. The old IQ joke often comes off as a sad consolation when the situation is clearly tipping in Australia’s favour.

8. Henry says:

Peter Mangled-twat you gotta be kidding me?! Is this it? Is this your M.O. I go to the salient website and attack people to make myself feel better. (ref. billy the moose’s article) You sound like a pussy man. Im gonna make it my New Years goal to find you and Hug you. You need to chill man. The cost of eductaion here is high. And unjustified for someone who has a competant level of the english language and education. Even you kiwi’s complain about the cost.

9. Henry says:

..and whats all this penis talk. Do you have a dire need to go on to a public forum and say “erection”. Does that make you feel more like a man. Or once you press post do you lean back in your chair with a smug smile then giggle like a 9 year old girl. “I wrote pepe teehee”.

10. Sarah says:

LMMFAO cut ’em down, cut ’em ,cut ’em down.
    I F’n h8 peter he’s a little bitch. He never has anything of substance to say, he just rips people up. GIMP!
    Peter stay off this website and concentrate on your internet porn, cos with a personality like yours i know you ain’t getting none!!
    PS “Peter Mangled-twat” – that rox!!

11. All correspondence to Dr. Manglethwaite may be directed towards his Facebook page, which is located over yonder: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1478139784

12. Peter Manglethwaite says:

Thanks for that Michael.

Henry: You obviously have no idea what Salient is like, re: pee pee jokes.

Sarah: HAven’t you heard of tabbed browsing? I can Salient AND concentrate on internet porn. PS I’ll “substance” all over your face.

13. Gibbon says:

Peter Mangled-twat you gotta be kidding me?! Is this it? Is this your M.O. I go to the salient website and attack people to make myself feel better. (ref. billy the moose’s article) You sound like a pussy man. Im gonna make it my New Years goal to find you and Hug you. You need to chill man. The cost of eductaion here is high. And unjustified for someone who has a competant</u level of the english language and education. Even you kiwi’s complain about the cost.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June