New 3D technology to help you learn

Students studying subjects such as astronomy, chemistry and biology will be able to view planets, molecules or cells in three dimensions and be able to rotate and explore the images in a way that is not possible with the usual twodimensional drawings.

Astrophysicists from Melbourne’s Swinburne University of Technology have introduced a new method for researchers to present their data as interactive, three-dimensional images in online publications, a development they describe as an “enhancement” for students and publishers.

Christopher Fluke and David Barnes from the University’s Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing have developed a new system which allows the embedding of threedimensional illustrations into the PDF files that are included in the online publications.

Previously, to view three-dimensional images in online publications, audiences had to log on to another website to access a movie or a CD.

“Interactive figures provide opportunities for students to undertake active learning while reading a textbook,” Fluke says.

“They are able to explore and uncover the connections between viewpoint, orientation, and the three-dimensional nature of models and data sets for themselves.”

It is unknown when the technology will be available for the online publications that are accessible at Victoria.

1. There’s a New Editor
1