What the fuck is with concrete?

Concrete. It’s this big, man-made grey stone right? It’s normally rectangular, which is weird, but that’s because it’s liquid when they make it.

Which… doesn’t seem quite right. Stone should not be liquid. Unless some volcano just shit it out, but that’s kind of different. Because then it’s all glowing and you can’t touch it and stuff. But more to the point, stone shouldn’t go from being liquid, to being, you know, stone. It doesn’t make sense. It’s not like it froze and turned solid, it just… did? Something about water leaching out the bottom: dude, whatever.

But those aren’t the parts of concrete that concern me. What’s really weird, is that this magical stone we call concrete (and build buildings out of – don’t get me started) is made from gravel, water, and some fucked up grey sand apparently called ‘cement’.

Did you guys make sandcastles when you were little? Remember how they were made from sand, and they needed water, and often the sand had pebbles that you just chose to ignore? And that it was fun? And that it still reminds you of a happier time, when kids were kids and parents watched proudly as their children learnt about the world, and the world was a simpler place, and the sandcastles DIDN’T turn into fucking stone!?!@ Yeah. Same.

Moral of the story: Just because there is this magic sand called cement doesn’t mean that we should be able to make our own specially shaped, apparently consistently dense stones. The end.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel