June 12, 2008 | by  |

Oh Sinner man, where ya gonna run to?

The police have announced early this morning that they have apprehended three men concerning the murder of Navtej Singh. Its great to hear that the police have acted quickly on this, however there have been some cries of police barbarism in thier efforts to locate these vile people.

Police raids on several houses in South Auckland resulted in bewilderment by the occupants, including children. One teenager reported being hit by a police rifle in the head. Comparisons between such actions and the Dawn raids of the 80’s could be tenuously drawn.

But at the end of the day, the police should be given the benefit of the doubt in such situations. If the house they had been raiding HAD had the shooters inside, things could have gotten messy quickly. The Police have a duty to protect each other, as well as members of the public. Furthermore it appears this authoratative crackdown has had the desired effects. Two men are charged with murder and firearms offenses (party liability at work), and a third has been charged with being an accessory.

The police have been criticized with being too soft in thier investigations — in particular the Kahui affair, and too harsh — during the raid of Ruatoki. It appears they struck a good balance here. In situations like this, its important to recognize the good work the police can do in this country.

Especially when the other story to break this morning is this one

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. “But at the end of the day, the police should be given the benefit of the doubt in such situations.” Given that they didn’t actually injure anyone, yes. But it’s good to see the dom post’s reporters questioning their actions nonetheless. If they’re accountable we can hope to ensure their honesty.

Needless the say, this was an awful crime. Our dairy owners put up with a lot of shit to provide us with our midnight snacks. Anyone who takes to abusing their hospitality needs to be kept where they cannot do so.

2. Matty Smith says:

Any post that references a Nina Simone song (yes, I know, it’s not “her” song) is a good post. Keep that in mind for the future.

3. James Malthus says:

Putting my insensitive, possibly fascist cap on, I think aggressive (not overtly violent) Police raids and uncompromising investigations may make criminals think twice. But then they’re mostly either too desperate or two stupid to stay away from crime for long.

Lets all carry sub-machine guns!

4. I thought it was ‘Oh sinner man, where will you run to?’

And that’s why I failed as a pirate.

5. you obviously need more Nina Simone blues Laura.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. The Übermensch 38 views
  2. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 36 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 26 views
  4. The Bresolin Brothers 18 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 18 views
  6. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 15 views
  7. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 15 views
  8. Shovel Knight 14 views
  9. Salient seeks new contributors 14 views
  10. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 13 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more