June 12, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

Oh Sinner man, where ya gonna run to?

The police have announced early this morning that they have apprehended three men concerning the murder of Navtej Singh. Its great to hear that the police have acted quickly on this, however there have been some cries of police barbarism in thier efforts to locate these vile people.

Police raids on several houses in South Auckland resulted in bewilderment by the occupants, including children. One teenager reported being hit by a police rifle in the head. Comparisons between such actions and the Dawn raids of the 80’s could be tenuously drawn.

But at the end of the day, the police should be given the benefit of the doubt in such situations. If the house they had been raiding HAD had the shooters inside, things could have gotten messy quickly. The Police have a duty to protect each other, as well as members of the public. Furthermore it appears this authoratative crackdown has had the desired effects. Two men are charged with murder and firearms offenses (party liability at work), and a third has been charged with being an accessory.

The police have been criticized with being too soft in thier investigations — in particular the Kahui affair, and too harsh — during the raid of Ruatoki. It appears they struck a good balance here. In situations like this, its important to recognize the good work the police can do in this country.

Especially when the other story to break this morning is this one

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. “But at the end of the day, the police should be given the benefit of the doubt in such situations.” Given that they didn’t actually injure anyone, yes. But it’s good to see the dom post’s reporters questioning their actions nonetheless. If they’re accountable we can hope to ensure their honesty.

Needless the say, this was an awful crime. Our dairy owners put up with a lot of shit to provide us with our midnight snacks. Anyone who takes to abusing their hospitality needs to be kept where they cannot do so.

2. Matty Smith says:

Any post that references a Nina Simone song (yes, I know, it’s not “her” song) is a good post. Keep that in mind for the future.

3. James Malthus says:

Putting my insensitive, possibly fascist cap on, I think aggressive (not overtly violent) Police raids and uncompromising investigations may make criminals think twice. But then they’re mostly either too desperate or two stupid to stay away from crime for long.

Lets all carry sub-machine guns!

4. I thought it was ‘Oh sinner man, where will you run to?’

And that’s why I failed as a pirate.

5. you obviously need more Nina Simone blues Laura.

1. Music
  2. WCC put in naughty corner by central government
  3. The sickest new dean
  4. Students strike sky-high rent
  5. More tax cuts for rich people
  6. Fire alarms Castle Street
  7. Everybody Poops
  8. Major protests in PNG
  9. Victoria hero graduates
  10. Govt says mental health services are fine
blues

Soul, Freedom, and Bluesfest

: The idea of throwing a massive birthday party is my worst nightmare. So it should come as no surprise that when the time came for me to plan my 21st birthday, I avoided giving anyone who asked a straight answer. Mum wanted a party, I wanted out. I wanted to run away. I was enroll