$15 million granted to Victoria researchers

Victoria University has recently received $15 million in investments from the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology.

As part of the Foundation’s latest investment round, the University was granted funding for five out of the six bids that were made for research projects over to next three to six years.

Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Professor Neil Quigley said that this large proportion of successful bids illustrates the kind of relevant, high quality research being conducted by the University.

“This outstanding result is indicative of the crucial role Victoria University plays in driving the New Zealand economy forward, to become one that is increasingly based on innovation and technology,” Quigley said.

“All five projects [granted funding] involve national and international collaboration of the highest standards, and aim to establish the high-value industries that the University has come to be known for.”

Subjects of the research include radiation detection, magnetic nanoparticle technology and adaptation to climate change. The projects aim to develop technology and systems that can be used in the fields such as medicine, food, horticulture, materials science, the timber industry and environmental policy.

1