$5000 bounty for capture of Condoleezza Rice

Auckland University’s Student Association (AUSA) is offering a $5000 reward to any Auckland University student who makes a successful citizen’s arrest of United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice during her visit to Auckland over the weekend.

“Rice is the public spokesperson for an illegal and immoral occupation that has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths,” AUSA International Affairs Officer Omar Hamed said, referring to the 2003 American invasion and continuing occupation of Iraq.

The motion for the reward, moved by Hamed, was passed at the AUSA exec meeting last Monday.

“It’s hard enough living as a student in Auckland these days without having a war criminal coming to town, so we thought we’d give our students a chance to make a dent in their student loans and work for global justice at the same time,” AUSA President David Do said.

When asked how the exec intended to fund the reward, Do admitted that the promised $5000 had not been budgeted for. “The likelihood of a [successful arrest] is low, but if it does happen, we will pay for it.”

“The intent was more symbolic than anything… it’s a statement of the strong feelings [against the invasion and occupation]. It’s hard to find students who are still supportive of it these days.”

Do said that he had not yet encountered a negative response to the exec’s reward offer. “We have not been contacted by the police [either], just media,” he added.

Do anticipates that a number of Auckland University students will be attending a protest against Rice on Saturday afternoon, as organised by Global Peace and Justice Auckland.

1. Gibbon says:

I am very mad at the following new development:

WELLINGTON, New Zealand: A group of New Zealand students offered a higher reward Saturday for the citizen’s arrest of U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for war crimes after another group withdrew their own bounty, accusing police of threatening them.

Students at Victoria University in the capital, Wellington, doubled the original reward offer to US$7,400, according to Joel Cosgrove, the student president.

Cosgrove said Rice should be arrested because she is responsible for the deaths of at least 600,000 Iraqis killed since the 2003 invasion by U.S.-led coalition troops.

“Condoleezza Rice needs to be tried before the international war crimes tribunal,” Cosgrove told New Zealand’s National Radio.

2. Michael Oliver says:

Great work as usual, Joel.

3. Ben Moore says:

I would love to know where Joel thinks he gets the authority to pledge that much student money?

4. Nick Archer says:

He gets the authority with Sonny Thomas the Campaigns Officer backing this and authorising it as well and rightly so…

Technically you can argue that she is a war criminal, but they control the agenda so until someone else controls things in the way USA does it will never happen…

5. Michael Oliver says:

And technically you can argue that these lame stunts are embarrassing, are by no means representative of the VUW student body and are overwhelmingly pathetic and cringeworthy – not to mention the audacity of pledging student money when unfulfilled promises of free printing still hang by the wayside waiting to be acknowledged.

I, for one, am glad I have less than a trimester left being tarred with this kind of brush.

6. miked says:

I am sure it will follow you for the rest of your life Michael. People will point and stare at you, even when you’re an old man.

7. Michael Oliver says:

When future employers interview me, all they’ll see is a giant “I <3 My Penis” t-shirt, such is the cross all Vic graduates will now carry…

8. miked says:

you might as well give up now Michael… no one is going to employ you because of Joel…. it’s all over

1