July 28, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Album Review: No Age – Nouns

Riding high off recommendations from practically every person on the planet, No Age’s first real full-length, Nouns, is a tight, focused half-hour of noise-punk that is undoubtedly one of the best albums of the last year or so.

Opener ‘Miner’ blasts out of sonic haze with manic chords over Dean Spunt’s hammering drums and clouded vocals, lasting barely 90 seconds before blasting back into haze, leaving you exhilarated and desperate to hear more. Employing a My Bloody Valentineesque method of layering vocals behind the distorted guitar, No Age invite the listener to listen beyond the punk aesthetics of tracks like ‘Here Should Be My Home’ and descend into the glorious, looping haze of atmospheric tracks like ‘Things I Did When I Was Dead’ and the instrumental ‘Keechie’. No Age swing between dreamlike aural landscapes and distorted riffery, integrating the two into thirty minutes of sonic bliss.

Far from the garage rock revolution that essentially produced a series of Gang of Four cover bands in the early 2000s, Nouns has wrought its punk influences into an album that forges a fresh new way of looking at ‘post-punk’. Saturated with lush, distorted textures and driving, simplistic guitar, this LA two-piece have created a truly excellent album.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection