July 28, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Battle of the Bands Student Styles Final – Bar Bodega

The Grand Final of the BOBSS went down with a hoot at Bar Bodega on Wednesday 16th July. The 6 bands who played were selected for the final by judges (local established musicians) at the two heats which were held at Mount Street Bar and Tussock (Massey University’s bar). Past winners of this event include such artists as Trinity Roots, The Aviators, and Olmecha Supreme.

The standards were high, the beer was flowing and the crowd was swooning as all six bands played their best songs. It must have been an extremely hard decision for the judges to choose the winners, but at the end of the night, the prestige went to Silenzio and the Swift (The Harbour City Electric came in second, and New Friend were third). So below is a brief chat with Osaka Silenzio.

How long have you guys been playing together?
We’ve been accruing members for around one and a half to two years now but we’ve had the most recent configuration [with Bones Cardwell on bass] for about 6 months now – you could say we’re settled and happy…

So much that you’d consider acquiring a band pet?
Definitely… maybe a chinchilla?

Maybe a piranha?
Or perhaps something more vicious. A cuddly but sharp-clawed baby tiger perhaps … a la Michael Jackson on the cover of Thriller.

Yeah … we’ve been testing names, sounds and genres for a while … definitely a lot of extensive work has been done in the soul arena

Soul?
Yeah, soul … melodrama … “the disastrous” is a personal lyrical penchant … I mean, you can’t escape your

You have an interesting lineup. What was the impetus for having both a cellist and a saxophonist?
Well, we sound a little like a bare-bones orchestra. Having those instruments takes the onus of playing melodically off the guitar, and uses the melodic strength of the sax and the cello, plus there are some really interesting timbres involved.

So where to from Wellington?
We’re touring around the South Island in October and we plan to head back to Auckland promptly to play a few more shows. Obviously we’re committed to Orientation 09, but we’d like to see ourselves offshore in the near future. Melbourne has been discussed, perhaps en route to Berlin.

What’s your take on the so-called ‘Wellington Vibe’?
There is no Wellington scene or sound.

And how did the night go?
The atmosphere was quite tense, but it was surprisingly well populated I thought… I hadn’t seen much advertising for the gig. We only won for originality, which can work against us as much as for, just this time it happened to be the latter. We kind of entered as a joke, I really didn’t think we were going to get into the finals, let alone win. There were some great examples of some classic styles, and the competition was pretty tight. I really enjoyed watching Harbour City Electric, they’re fucking tight, and New Friend were extremely enthusiastic.

So, would you enter again next year?
If we were guaranteed to win! Haha.

1