Debating thriller in Manila

The Victoria University Debating Society has continued its run of international success at the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships. With a history of dominance, having come second in last year’s competition, Victoria sent three teams and three judges to the competition, held this year in Manila, Philippines.

Both Victoria One (Chris Bishop, Stephen Whittington and Polly Higbee) and Victoria Two (Kathy Scott-Dowell, Kathy Errington and Richard D’Ath) broke to the final eight teams, and then to the quarter finals. Both teams won their octo-final match ups, but suffered defeats in their respective quarter-finals with Victoria One losing to Ateneo One, and Victoria Two bowing out to Sydney One, placing in the top eight overall.

Victoria Three, made up of Emily Bruce, Jenna Raeburn and Seb Templeton, narrowly missed out on reaching the octo-finals, coming within nine speaker points of the break.

At the time of print, Adjudicator Nigel Smith had advanced to judging the ESL Semi-final, an impressive achievement. Salient wishes to congratulate all members of the squad on their fine efforts.

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn