Eye on Exec

This week’s VUWSA exec meeting was a quick one and due to what I suspect to be increasing alcoholism within the exec, it was held at the bar.

The VUWSA food bank was a hot topic this week with concerns over how the exec can best run it. Due to increased food prices and student hardship, the food bank has already hit the 400 mark for food parcels given out this year.

Welfare Vice-President Melissa Barnard is concerned that she might blow her budget as the food bank is having trouble keeping up with the rise in demand. She is also running out of the black VUWSA-labelled eco bags, so if you have any at home you’re not using, bring them back to VUWSA.

Victoria’s tae kwon do team was given $1,400 to compete in the national championships.

Renowned grammar and spelling Nazi Alexander Neilson criticised Joel for his incorrect spelling of tae kwon do.

“You’re a dick, Alex,” Barnard said.

VUWSA is seeking funding for the VUWSA Trust for legal consultation for the review of the clubs constitution. There was also talk of funding a badge machine for the clubs to use. Badges would cost around 50 cents each but knowing you’re looking cool with your Workers’ Party/Young Labour badge… Priceless.

Meeting highlight: Paul Danger Brown represented student hardship well when he spilt his beer on the table and proceeded to “table suck” every last drop.

This prompted President Joel Cosgrove to say: “Paul, don’t ever complain if Salient portrays you in a bad light.”

Contrary to Cosgrove’s assumptions, I happened to be quite impressed with the speed and accuracy of Brown’s efforts.

1