July 28, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Lady Log, Dyke? Dyke? Dyke?, Grusome, Peneloping

Bar Bodega Friday 8 July

Decent local shows have been hard to come by lately, and so I was fairly excited about seeing a lineup such as this. After downing a jug at the Bristol I arrived for the ten o’clock start only to find that Peneloping had already played – I really like this band so was kind of pissed off. They play infectious pop music with delicate melodies, twee gang vocals and clever Neutral Milk Hotel-esque rythms, and by all accounts they were up to old tricks.

What I did see was ‘Grusome’ a solo D’n’B/synth/grime-core Mafioso, who managed to bring a somewhat sombre Tuesday night crew to a satisfying communal orgasm. Or at least there was definite pre-cum. I can’t tell you why he inspires sexual imagery, but I was gagging for Lady Log by this stage.

Two piece Lady Log conjures a genuine ‘Twin Peaks’ vibe with their sci-fiduelling between styley Key-tar (fuck that word looks gross) and some impressive looking synthesisers and layered keys. I didn’t want to ask either Lady-Loggers how many pedals they are running but it’s got to be at least five. Most people opted to sit or laze on chairs, but about four people lost their footing and conspired to drag each other around the floor. Pretty cool man.

Outside Bodega I told one of the Dyke? Dyke? Dykes that I was gonna smash them, fuck maybe this contributed to their technical difficulties – but it was irrelevant, they’re possibly the best lesbians I’ve seen play, ever. Oh nah CSS are ok. But you should probably go see these guys before your trendy friends try and tell you how cool they are.

This was a sweet way to spend a Tuesday night, I felt like I was part of a collective sigh at the state of Wellington indie, we bitch, we moan, but its shows like these which remind us of the potential for our ‘little city – Ah Ah’.

Devo Sux, Joy Division Sux, kill the fucking DJ and get your out to local shows, you WILL be surprised.

1