July 7, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Live Review: Minuit

Minuit
Friday 27th
at Sandwiches

Late on Friday night indie Break-Beat trio Minuit were cheered on stage by an incredibly amped crowd at Sandwiches. The band have recently returned from an extensive tour around Europe promoting their UK album I Went To This Party And There Were 88 Guards with Guns, (a combination of their first two albums and the I Hate Guns EP), and they seemed happy to be back playing in good ole’ NZ. The experience gained overseas was obvious as Minuit kicked into an absolutely amazing set. Their rockin’ music quickly created an electric atmosphere that sent a buzz through the crowd and the band were fully loving every minute of it, perfectly engaged with both the crowd and their music.

Sandwiches was packed out for the show, and the intensity of the crowd, while a bit much for some at the front who didn’t appreciate being constantly shoved into the stage, only added to the atmosphere. In true Minuit style the set was lengthy, and included crowd favourites ‘Fuji’, ‘Except You’, and ‘Lock the Doors’, with personal highlights being ‘Bury You In Brazil’, ‘A Room Full of Cute’, and ‘Menace’. There were several new tracks among the set providing some welcome surprises along the way, each having a sufficiently different vibe to stand out amongst the older songs. Also included was an absolutely mental mid-set jam session. The crowd wouldn’t let Minuit leave without an encore, during which they played the muchchanted for ‘I Hate Guns’, causing front-woman Ruth to remark “See? Democracy does work.”

This wasn’t the first time I’ve seen Minuit give an incredible performance and I’m sure it won’t be the last. They’ve once again proven what a valuable asset they are to New Zealand music, not only delivering an amazing live show, but also creating a warm atmosphere throughout; a feat not easy to accomplish.