July 5, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

NZUSA update

I continued my campaign of self hatred and masochim, by deciding to attend the NZUSA national conference in Auckland over the weekend. Orginially I flew up to take cool photos at the debt march and do a bit a bit of research into NZUSA’s campaign into combatting increasing levels of student debt. But after hanging around for the rest of the conference my eyes have been opened regarding the role that NZUSA plays nationally.

Unknown to many students is the fact that our students association is itself a member of the New Zealand Union of Student Associations. Its one of VUWSA’s largest expenses (i dont have the precise details at this stage) and the Union is funded primarily by contributions from its member associations. Present are delegates from all the top dogs (Auckland, Otago, Canturbury, Victoria) and also present are reps from polytechnics and other tertiary organisations.

So far on the agenda there have been workshops and summits regarding Alcohol and students, new media and student campaigning, an insight into the disastrous plight of student unions in Australia, after the Howard government instituted voluntary student unionism, and there have been a plethora of equity, and representative group discussions.

I must stop this overview here, as the political panel on tertiary education, is about to start.

And oh, if anyone was wondering if there have been any crazy executive antics, urine licked off streets, signs being stolen etc, then sadly I would have to dissapoint you. The executive have been quite boring so far. The only minor scandal is the motel they are staying in has been treating them with undue suspicion, due to the poor rep Vic students have after this years uni games. What a bore.

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. H. Westfold of Hataitai says:

Speaking from a white, male, heteronormative perspective, one of the most disriminated against in this lesbocrat dominated world, I comend Mr. Reyners (although Gay) for the courage and conviction in his descion to cover the Liarbor-Breeding-Ground that is student politics and NZUSA.

2. Naly D says:

Conrad, you forgot to mention the late-night fast food runs the VUWSA executive went on (encouraging healthy habits, I guess), the consumption of alcohol in a place where this was barred, the theft of a sign protesting against the consumption of alcohol, the fact the VUWSA executive were late to the Powhiri (if you want to gain respect for ones sexuality, shouldn’t you respect other cultures yourself?) as well as several other days when VUWSA were either late or didn’t show up. Oh and the fact that the president of one organisation had to move in order to hear politicians on the political panel, thanks to one of the VUWSA executive constantly interrupting.

3. Mooseknuckle says:

Umm from what I saw the sign was a peice of paper stuck up with blu-tack?

4. Legal Eagle says:

Lol naly d, now you are really scraping the bottom of the barrell to attack conrad/salient/VUWSA/VUW.

Whats scandlous about the exec eating what they like. Its a free world, someone has to patronise KFC. Whats scandalous about exec members having a sneaky drink when from all acounts all other universities were doing it as well. One persident of one organisation even did a walk of shame that evening….

Whats insensitive about not showing up to a powhiri which is mysoginstic? And it was a political forum, you are SUPPOSED to heckle.

Grow up.

5. “it was a political forum, you are SUPPOSED to heckle”

Just because many people are only capable of engaging in politics in a childish unconstructive manner, doesn’t mean that everyone has to be childish and unconstructive.

6. Legal Eagle – are you a Graeme Edgeler wannabe?

7. Naly D says:

Eagle, I am in now way trying to attack VUWSA, Salient, or any of its executives/writers. I simply wished to put forward the way some of their executive were seen by others at the conference (ie more than just my lone self). It was however obvious that some of these organisations were demonised in subsequent posts which were made about NZUSA and I was simply attempting to present a fair and balanced view, as my journalistic mind implores me to. Although I do agree and apologise, I should have stopped short of defamation.

And on that note, its ‘misogynistic’. I don’t think a Powhiri could be described as misogynistic by one who knew the procedures and protocols of such an event.

8. Karl Marx says:

I agree Naly D, to suggest otherwise would be imperialist. And I don’t like imperialists.