Underground Undie 500 likely

Following failed attempts to negotiate a revamped Undie 500 with the Dunedin mayor, police, fire service and the University of Otago, the University of Canterbury’s Engineering Society (Ensoc) has pulled out of organising the event this year.

The Undie 500 is an annual under-$500- car rally and party between Christchurch and Dunedin. The event caused uproar and attracted criticism last year when riots broke out and 69 participants were arrested in Dunedin.

“This hasn’t stopped riots. It has only stopped us running the Undie 500,” Ensoc president Graeme Walker told the Otago Daily Times.

There is already at least one Facebook group with members expressing plans to carry out an unofficial version of the event.

“If the official undy [sic] falls through, we will be organising the next best thing,” one of the 396 members of the group ‘I’m going on the Undy 500 with or without Ensoc’ said.

“Get all your mates to join up, because the more people in on this the more seriously we can start organising this backup event.”

Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) president Simon Wilson has expressed his concern about a “rogue group” from Canterbury descending on Dunedin.

“These people are not coming to show the engineering behind their vehicles. They are focused on drinking,” he said.

It is believed that the alternative event will go ahead on 22 August.

1. Naly D says:

Well said, Simon. The Undy 500 is a good idea, but as always some ****heads have to ruin it.

Imagine the fallout if the little kids rioting last year had instead been gang members. Hypocritical, much?

2. James Malthus says:

Everyone knows people only sign-up to EngSoc for the cool shirts.

3. Tristan says:

And here I thought they signed up for the Free Beer events that are intentionally put on at the same time as lectures…

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos