Victoria Plus award for student volunteers

The University has introduced the Victoria Plus Award as an initiative designed to recognise students who make an extensive extra-curricular contribution to student support at Victoria and in the Wellington community.

The new service and leadership award would recognise, amongst others, students who had volunteered to be class representatives, or held positions in clubs and representative groups.

VUWSA Education Vice-President, Paul Brown, has praised the new initiative saying “the University is now starting to buy in on the class rep and faculty delegate systems, which is fantastic.”

Brown added, “students deserve acknowledgement for the extra-curricular work they do and the skills they develop as representatives.”

The University has expressed a greater interest in becoming more active in the class representative system.

Class reps, Brown says, play “an essential role in feeding back to the University.”

“This of course helps to maintain a high standard of teaching at Victoria and the rewards are there for students in terms of personal development.”

Class rep elections for trimester two will be under way this week, and training sessions for successful candidates will be held in week three.

Students can register for the Victoria Plus Award online at

http://www.victoria.ac.nz/victoriaplus