Week in Politics

This week nothing actually happened in New Zealand politics. Media coverage about the going ons of our politicians has focused on Winston Peters getting money, spending money and not declaring money. Salient says, who cares! We don’t. Winston will be Winston, he’ll bend the rules, he’ll lie, it is just Winston. Patron Saint of Salient, Bob Jones pipped up in a Dom post investigation about some money. Rodney Hide spent 20 minutes tying up the House with point of orders in his ridiculous canary yellow jacket after he alluded to Winstons predicament. Meanwhile, somewhere in Africa, a child dies.

National came out and said that it would rejig the Employment law, hacking off all the parts that protect workers rights. The Nats say that the basic principles would remain in place but did not mention their plans for eviscerating its effectiveness and glossed over the 90 day probation period that they would bring in. On the Bright side if you book ahead you can usually get nice discounts on flights if you want to leave NZ when National forms the next government.

Obama has a lead in McCain in the polls… but because of the way that the American electoral system works McCain could still win without the aide of electoral petitions, buddies at Fox news or “faulty” computer voting systems.

It turns out Radovan Karadzic, a Bosnian Serb accused of genocide, was hiding on Craggy Island posing as a Catholic Priest known only to the locals of Father Ted Crilly. The Hague said that because of his celebrity status in the Britsh comedy, they would grant him a speedy trial.

Fortnight on the Blogs

Jackson continued his phenomenal procrastination run and let rip. He started off with a bit of political satire, describing the release launch of Mugabe’s debut album – Zanu PF ain’t nothing to fuck with. He then struck hope into everyone hearts by commenting on the possibility of Universal Student Allowances, before finishing up with a reactionary rant against Te Reo haters.

Conrad blogged about Winston Peter’s masterful media management, The Nats abysmal defense on their unpopular ACC policy, and posted two unedited transcripts of interviews he has done – one with Jordan Carter (Labour), and the other with Sir Roger Douglas (ACT).

Tristan had a whinge about people complaining about too much fucking swearing in Salient publications. And he urged everyone to sign a petition about medicinal marijuana.

The newest edition to the blogging team; Dr. Peter Manglethwaite posted his artistic rendition of the insidious effect Crosby Textor are having on poor, innocent, baby faced John Key.

1