August 11, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Album: SideKickNick – Miscellaneous Adventures

Who would have thought that a total mix-mash flip-flop collaboration of every notion, instrument, tone and mood could come together and actually work? Not only work, but fucking blow your mind. Auckland based SideKickNick AKA: Nick Buckton is the new shit. His album Miscellaneous Adventures is exactly that, an adventure. It comprises a wide range of genres and I assure you it has something for everyone. If it doesn’t you’re one sad soul. His work sounds like melodramatic Pakeha pop, with a dash of indie rock, a twist of folk and a whole five cups of fun. Each song encompasses this framework and takes you for a ride. SideKickNick sings about girls, dingy rides, eyeballs, food and cups of tea – there’s something we can all relate to in one way or another. He has some classic 60s pop elements thrown in all over the place, and it’s fun, polite, obnoxious, loud, and raucous.

There’s something about ‘something in your eyes’ that makes you melt, picture your best summer memory and forget about everything else. The perfect album for your New Year road trip. I can’t think of anything better than driving up/down New Zealand’s coast, windows down and this song pumping through your veins. ‘Got A’ gets you up on your feet; it’s easy like Sunday morning but crazy like Saturday night. How? I’m not too sure, Nick’s just a genius. Plain and simple. His song ‘Coffeehousechronicles’ is beautiful, and nothing less. Lie down with this song, watch the clouds go by and dream. A real natural high. ‘Amputee Acrobat’ and ‘Hello My Friend’ are both sweet mash ups of bells, drums, harps, guitars and everything in between. It’s a perfect example of how he’s managed to scavenge bits and bobs from all over the place to produce something magical. I might be going too far if I was to compare it to some of T S Eliot’s poetry, but you get the idea.

I cannot compare it too much, because frankly not many have ventured before him to attempt such a risk – in saying that maybe it’s the start of a new era. One can only hope. Overall the only thing I could compare this album to is a lucky dip where everyone’s a winner (which we all love). Put the album on shuffle and you never know what you’re gonna get, but you will be happy.

Listen to him play at the Redbull Studio, 3.30 pm 21 August. You won’t be let down. Also he’s playing 29 August at The King’s Arms if you’re up in Auckland. I want to go, I really do. If his onstage performance is anything close to the enjoyment one gets out of listening to his album, it’ll be well worth the trip up.

1. There’s a New Editor
1