August 11, 2008 | by  | in Theatre |

Bombshells at Circa Theatre

Bombshells
Until 23 August

Ali Harper puts on a fabulous show for winter Wellington theatre goers. Her performance certainly warmed my winter blues and had me laughing till it hurt. My partner and a heavily pregnant friend braved the freezing cold night and driving rain to make it to opening night and we were entertained from the moment Ali graced the stage. An actor, singer and dancer, she is a true professional. She outdid herself and it showed by the satisfied screams of joy and laughter.

In 2007 Ali toured the South Island and is now embarking on a tour of the North Island. The one woman show, featuring six female characters and a permanent on-stage set of sculptural costume stands, kept the audience mesmerised. Before our eyes each wardrobe change saw Ali transformed to someone we all knew. The exploration of each character’s inner and outer world stirred emotions within us all – we felt their joy, fear, agony & desires.

The 65 year old widow Winsome Webster’s words “he filled me up with the salve of the unexpected” gave a sense of cross-generational hope to us all. My partner perked up quickly when he became the victim of Zoe Struthers, the aging cabaret singer who entertained him with an erotic lap dance and wooed the audience with tales of seduction. Afterwards we feasted on bubbles and food to toast a great venue, Circa (opposite Te Papa) and the gorgeous, most entertaining Ali Harper.

To find out more about Ali Harper and where to book, visit her website www.aliharper.com

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough