August 4, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Gin Wigmore – Extended Play

Gin Wigmore is fast becoming a well known artist around the globe since winning the Grand Finals of the International Song Writing Competition based in New York, where her featured song ‘Hallelujah’ beat 11,000 entries to become the first ever unsigned winner.

Extended Play, her debut release, is a diverse combo of pop/folk and appeals to a wide range of tastes. Appropriately sipping on gin as dry as Miss Wigmore’s raspy voice I found myself taken for a ride from grief and despair to sunshine and lollipops and back again. Her music seems to alternate between the two ends of the emotional spectrum, a clever arrangement to keep the listener listening.

‘Hallelujah’ is a calming, peaceful song written about her late father. Here, her unique voice is the key that so many other solo artists lack. ‘Under My Skin’ is tragically catchy, and some of the others are on par with the likes of Joss Stone. A definite favourite is ‘Easy Come, Easy Go’ as the subtle husk of her voice and mellow strums on the acoustic make for easy and eloquent listening.

Her other songs aren’t worth much, ‘S.O.S’ is a little too whiney and ‘These Roses’ is just plain spew. Yet considering Extended Play consists of only 5 tracks, I am sure this is just a taste of what’s to come from the new age Blondie/white Macy Gray.

For those interested I hear she’s playing in December at Alana Estate Winery in Martinbrough, go check her out and if she’s not exactly what you’re into you can always just get ragingly hammered.

1. Lilly says:

It’s by far the best EP of the year.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos