August 6, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

Lies, Damn Lies, and Politicians.

John Carter (National) in the general debate in the house today said; “The Country doesn’t like dirty tricks”. But the country does like the truth. It seems that the National Party doesn’t like that ever becoming a reality.

The whole scandal over the recording from the labour Party conference is very interesting. Everyone can see that the National Party have handled the whole affair very badly.

I don’t understand why the Nats would be running the lines they have been. Political partisanship aside, they are just completely contradictory. Firstly, John Key stated that recording was doctored. But then he stands next to Bill English, while Bill glumly apologises for using ‘loose language’. So its implicit that English recognises that those words were accurate. Or else he would not have apologised for saying them.

Secondly the Nats have started crying woe over a ‘dirty tricks campaign’. Firstly, they have no proof that a Young Labour candidate did enter the National Party conference. The entry fee was $170 alone. That’s beyond most students’ reach. Secondly, the National Party President, Judy Kirk has stated that they thought the recording came from a Young Nat member, who also was a member of ACT. So which story is it? Key’s “paranoid conspiracy theory” (To quote Michael Cullen in the house today) or is it an internal leak – as suggested by the National Party’s own president? Such an assertion would make sense. ACT party members were protesting outside the National Party Conference, as well as were others from various parties.

Furthermore, New Zealanders, as well as liking the truth – also have good political memories. Its frightfully bad media management to play the dirty tricks card, when National made such a big furore over the secret recording of Mike Williams made at the Labour Party conference. Not to mention employing the help of the Exclusive Brethren at the last election.

This has been an incredibly bad week for National – they’d just come out of what was supposed to be a very good weekend. Now they are tying themselves up in knots. Their handling of this issue is short-sighted, contradictory, and in some regards, misleading. Helen Clark couldn’t have asked for anything better.

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. miked says:

I saw a certain Exec member renting a costume for the weekend. He said he had plans :)

2. Nicole Skews says:

I have to agree with Kirk’s theory here…I’d bet kiwibank it was one of the little aspergers weirdos.

3. As a little aspergers weirdo I am insulted by Ms Skews accusations, we would never do such a thing. We were just there for the cheese spread and when Brownlee finished that off we were back to the streets to find funding for our plan to resurrect John Keys, he was our homeboy.

Sincerely, the WE

4. Naly D says:

Gutted that that certain exec member has been identified by Matthew Hooton on a national radio broadcast.

5. Hah! If the Nats let that certain exec member into their conference, then not only are they stupid, but also paralytically naive.

No, its almost certainly not them. The Nats aren’t that stupid.

1. There’s a New Editor
1