Vic students win big

Three PhD students at Victoria have been named as recipients of the Top Doctoral Achiever Scholarships by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC), at a total value of nearly $300,000.

The scholarships are awarded to the top 10 per cent of PhD candidates from around the country and provided financial support for three years of research at universities in both New Zealand and overseas.

Teresa Vaughn, Rebecca Bednarek and Emma Dangerfield were awarded amounts ranging from about $98,000 to $101,000. A fourth PhD candidate and Victoria graduate, was awarded almost $110,000.

The topics of the students’ research are wide-ranging, from environmentally friendly chemical catalysts, to balancing the demands of business stakeholders, as well as new cancer therapies.

The University’s Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Neil Quigley said that the scholarship recipients were leaders in their receptive fields.

“These scholarships acknowledge the value the Government places on the importance of these outstanding students to New Zealand’s future. They recognise the cutting-edge research underway at Victoria that will see breakthroughs in medicine, industry and law among other areas.”

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos