August 4, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Wolf Parade – At Mount Zoomer

Canadian indie-rock ‘supergroup’ Wolf Parade haven’t so much turned a page with their sophomore effort At Mount Zoomer as focused in on the more subtle elements of their amazing 2005 debut, Apologies to Queen Mary (ATQM).

The opening keyboard notes of ‘Soldier’s Grin’ are reminiscent of ATQM’s ‘I’ll Believe In Anything’, before dissolving into a chirpy, fast-paced rocker. But the overall finish is lacking; a fault that is thematic throughout the album. Sharp, short chords are characteristic of many songs here, which although immediately likeable give the impression that Wolf Parade just don’t have as many ideas here as there were on their debut.

That being said, lead single ‘Language City’ is an excellent song, with Boeckner lamenting miscommunication amidst a rhythm section that rearranges itself and travels through three brilliant melodies, reaching its crescendo amongst a hopeful keyboard line and the steady chant of ‘We’re not at home/Hang up the telephone’. Krug’s distinct voice cuts through personal favourite ‘Bang Your Drum’ like a guiding light through a mess of guitars and stomping drums.

At Mount Zoomer doesn’t explore particularly new territory, but it shows that Wolf Parade promise excellent consistency and write undeniably good songs. It doesn’t pack the intense quirk that their debut did, but considering that was one of Sub Pop’s best ever releases, you could do so much worse than buy At Mount Zoomer.`

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough