August 4, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Wolf Parade – At Mount Zoomer

Canadian indie-rock ‘supergroup’ Wolf Parade haven’t so much turned a page with their sophomore effort At Mount Zoomer as focused in on the more subtle elements of their amazing 2005 debut, Apologies to Queen Mary (ATQM).

The opening keyboard notes of ‘Soldier’s Grin’ are reminiscent of ATQM’s ‘I’ll Believe In Anything’, before dissolving into a chirpy, fast-paced rocker. But the overall finish is lacking; a fault that is thematic throughout the album. Sharp, short chords are characteristic of many songs here, which although immediately likeable give the impression that Wolf Parade just don’t have as many ideas here as there were on their debut.

That being said, lead single ‘Language City’ is an excellent song, with Boeckner lamenting miscommunication amidst a rhythm section that rearranges itself and travels through three brilliant melodies, reaching its crescendo amongst a hopeful keyboard line and the steady chant of ‘We’re not at home/Hang up the telephone’. Krug’s distinct voice cuts through personal favourite ‘Bang Your Drum’ like a guiding light through a mess of guitars and stomping drums.

At Mount Zoomer doesn’t explore particularly new territory, but it shows that Wolf Parade promise excellent consistency and write undeniably good songs. It doesn’t pack the intense quirk that their debut did, but considering that was one of Sub Pop’s best ever releases, you could do so much worse than buy At Mount Zoomer.`

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos