“Weir’s still your first choice!” Hostel to celebrate 75 years of contempt from non-residents

Weir House, Victoria University’s first whollyowned hall of residence, has announced a reunion weekend in November to celebrate its 75th anniversary.

The hall of residence, which opened in 1933, currently holds 315 students and claims All Black Conrad Smith and Members of Parliament Simon Power and Darren Hughes as former residents. A press release from the University described Weir House as “a Victoria University and Wellington icon… known for being home to some of Victoria’s brightest young scholars who go on to be successful alumni in Wellington, New Zealand and around the world.”

Victoria University Chancellor and former Weir House warden Tim Beaglehole congratulated the hall on its anniversary, saying “Weir House has been an integral part of Victoria’s culture and has contributed to the University’s life in many ways. It’s provided a home away from home to many students and a base from which they’ve explored and enjoyed New Zealand’s capital city.”

The reunion weekend will be held from 14 to 16 November with various events to mark the occasion, such as an international dinner at Te Papa and a debate at Weir House on the topic “My real education took place at Weir House”.

Former Weir House wardens Jane and Leon Fulcher, who were at the hall from 1986 to 2004, are currently authoring a book entitled Weir Tales: 75 Years of History and Student Achievements which will be available for purchase at the reunion, with all proceeds will go to future Weir House scholarships.

Former residents who would like to attend the reunion can register their details and read the programme of events at
www.vuw.ac.nz/alumni/weirhouse

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos