A Fundamental Change

Conservative America has always been viewed as a bit behind the times. They have clung to their fundamentals and old fashioned values in a world that doesn’t have much room for them anymore. They have been labelled bigots and even backward-thinking, which has always been out of step with America’s claim to be the land of the free and a global trendsetter.

But move over stubborn rednecks, conservatism has some new kids on the block – John McCain and Sarah Palin. These bright leaders of the Republican Party have pledged to be the face of conservative change. Some would argue that this is an oxymoron and just an empty election promise, but their actions and announcements of late show their dedication to this movement.

For starters, John McCain announced a female for his running mate. That’s right, someone from the submissive gender! Presumably her ability to make big decisions will be limited to three weeks in every four and she will have had to sign some contract to not get pregnant, but it does show just how far their society has come. It may also be that he saw a gap in the voting market with feminists disgruntled with Hilary Clinton’s defeat, but I’m sure it’s mainly just his openness to change and equality.

And then there is the wonderful newbie female herself who has shown her integrity as a woman with family values. She values family so much that she is ‘proud’ of her daughter’s decision to follow the word of God (albeit selectively) and not use protection in intercourse, resulting in the wonderful gift of life at 17 years of age and out of wedlock. The fact that her daughter isn’t being shipped off to ‘schooling abroad’ or being burnt at the stake is a true testament to this new wave of openminded conservatives in America.

God bless America in its time of much needed change that is going to be lead by lovers of fundamentals.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface