Ain’t No Sunshine When Winter’s Gone

Phew! I am so relieved that fine weather we caught a glimpse of in the last few weeks is gone. The air was starting to smell like summer. Spring is a horrible season because it flirts with summer-like weather and gets everyone all excited before dashing people’s hopes and dreams and raining on their parades.

Why people get excited is really unclear, because summer is an even worse season. Due to the natural realignment of the Earth’s axis, summer has longer days, which we add to with the stupid invention of daylight savings. Summer means waking up at 5:30am with the sun streaming through your window, which is all well and good and lovely, but not if you aren’t due to wake up till 10am. And at the tail end of the day it is 9pm before the sun has set. Basically summer equals more time awake, which isn’t a lot of fun.

Summer is traditionally synonymous with hotter weather which means our bodies need less assistance in being warm. Having to suddenly wear shorts and singlets after months of hibernating and not sufficiently exercising your body is just plain cruel. Many of us enjoy winter as it allows us to mask all those unsightly rolls and bumps, but evil summer forces them to be out on display.

Winter is supposedly responsible for mental syndromes like SAD as the low vitamin D levels due to lack of sun exposure effects serotonin levels. Bad weather provides a nice scapegoat and explanation for why you are so grumpy or down in the dumps. We are able to just ‘blame it on the weather man’ as they say. But with the sun beaming down fairly regularly in summer, no such excuses can be mad. People are forced to front up to the fact that they are genuinely unhappy people, or they are grumpy with people because they do not actually like them. Summer is responsible for acceptance of broken relationships and for people making radical life changing decisions in quest of happiness.

Summer inflicts a lot of pain and has a lot to answer for.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties