Employee embezzles $600,000 from Auckland University

A project manager at an Auckland University research centre has defrauded the University of over $600,000 by forging invoices and arranging for the funds to be paid into her own bank account and that of a friend.

According to an article in the New Zealand Herald, Katherine Ann Henry recently pleaded guilty to three charges of obtaining by deception at Auckland District Court.

Court documents showed that Henry had been working from 2003 to 2007 at the University’s Mira Szaszy Research Centre, which is a part of its business school.

According to the same documents, Henry had produced fake invoices under the name of a company that had previously sold two pieces of art to the University. The deception, in which a total of $609,502.92 was unlawfully obtained, was uncovered following concerns that were raised in 2006 about the financial performance of the Research Centre.

“Costs of the centre had exceeded the budget,” the statement of facts read. “A review of the ledger revealed that many transactions were being expensed into the same account.”

Henry is due to be sentenced in October.

1. There’s a New Editor
1