Eye on Exec

I approached last week’s VUWSA exec meeting with trepidation – tension is in the air at VUWSA, and it’s nearly election time. I was expecting a wild ride. As I sat down at the meeting room table I immediately blanched at the meagre offerings that had been provided. I wasn’t in the mood for capsicum. It just wasn’t one of those days.

There was very nearly a full bench at court this week. Everyone was present with the exception of Queer Rights Officer Rachael Wright, who is still boycotting meetings in protest, Women’s Rights Officer Georgina Dickson and Activities Officer Fiona McDonald. Such a turnout has been unprecedented in all my observations of the Exec, so I knew something important was about to go down.

I was soon to find out. Within minutes of the meeting opening, it was mooted that the VUWSA Change Proposal be placed in the agenda under urgent business. This radical document has been making waves, and the Exec was keen to talk about it. Secondly, they wanted to discuss the VUWSA elections, and needed a report on when and where they were to be held.

Before the fireworks, however, formalities needed to be attended to. The President and all three Vice-Presidents had not done any work reports.

To President Joel Cosgrove’s credit (and I don’t do this often), he has been busy kicking arse and taking names while negotiating compensation for long suffering Unicomm residents. Look out ING, Joel Cosgrove is on to you.

William Wu was awarded a summer bonus of $200 for all his good work. The exec admitted to not yet appointing a Returning Officer for the upcoming elections. They’ve assured me there will be one by Monday.

The Exec turned to the Change Proposal – and immediately went into committee due to “matters of commercial sensitivity.” I was instantly struck by paralytic boredom. I can’t report what was said – but my god, I thought my brain was going to melt and trickle out my nose. Actually, that’s a little unfair. The Change Proposal is really important moment for VUWSA.

It radically alters the way the organisation is structured, and Campaigns Officer Sonny Thomas indicated to me after the meeting that it could save thousands of dollars in costs. Copies of the proposal can be picked up from VUWSA, if you feel compelled enough to take a look. You do fund it, after all.

The Exec wrapped up with a motion that established a decision panel for the VUWSA Change Proposal, and a second motion was passed sending the proposal to the panel for consultation.

I got ready to go, but not before Melissa Barnard was co-opted onto a board that oversaw the running of the bar. Clubs Officer Katie de Roo confirmed that “[Melissa] has great experience,” and Brown questioned: “Are shots provided?”

I reanimated my tired legs, shook my head, and got out of there as fast as I could.

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.

1. Freya says:

Awesome Eye on Exec for once, Conrad. Good work.

Let me know when you’re free for a date, sweetcheeks.

2. Matthew_Cunningham says:

Just out of curiousity, why is Rachael Wright boycotting the meetings at the moment?

3. Michael Oliver says:

Eye on Exec is always awesome. Great work, Conrad.

4. SS says:

Dear Salient,

I was just walking past the Union Building, when what do I see, Seamus Brady and Conrad Reyners sitting side by side in the VUWSA computer room. On further investigation through mutual friends I have ascertained that Conrad is not only really good friends with Seamus and Sonny, but a member of Young Labour. How does Salient reconcile sending someone who is buddy buddy on many levels with the exec members to report on them? I understand that some of you have your biases, but isn’t this a massive conflict of interest?

It is also interesting to note that at the same time Rachael Wright, who is boycotting VUWSA Exec meetings, and is probably still getting paid, seemingly has no qualms about using the VUWSA facilities, as she was also in the computer room with Seamus and Conrad.

5. Michael Oliver says:

Oh yeah, the whole column read like a blowjob on paper. I mean, get a load of this flagrant piece of biased fellatio:

I reanimated my tired legs, shook my head, and got out of there as fast as I could.”

Conrad’s bias is out of control – his bias towards sitting. Frankly, given the exec’s penchant for sitting around, this sort of anti-patriotic bullshit shouldn’t be tolerated and the great state of VUWSA should be doing its best to initiate proceedings that may or may not one day (in the distant future) deal with Conrad and his ilk, perhaps.

And does Rachael Wright’s capacity as Queer Rights Officer extend beyond “sitting around at exec meetings,” because if she’s still doing work, HOLY FUCKING SHIT, maybe she should still be paid for it? But hey – I dunno the full story, so whatever, student politics is garbage, throw it in the bin.

6. blogette says:

does rachael wright do anything

7. SS says:

I’m not saying that it was a blow job on paper. The article was an OK article. But at least with Jenna, Seonah and Tristan you know that they don’t hang out with the people they’re reporting on in intimately social situations and they are (hopefully) not associated with the circle jerk that is Young Labour.

Exec meetings are part of the job the students elected her to do. They supposedly an important part where the entire executive is supposed to meet and work together to better students… or am i dreaming?

I agree with you. Student Politics is garbage and hopefully these muppets, as we’re so fond of calling them, will usher in VSM unintentionally.

8. Comment says:

So, Conrad wrote a good article – that you can find no faults with, and micheal already done a pretty good job of mocking you over, and yet because he is friends with exec members he shouldnt be allowed to report on it?

Lol. What a joke. Lots of Salient staff members are pals with VUWSA exec members. Jackson Wood interned in Sue Kedgley’s office for gods sake. As long as its not reflected in thier writing (and its pretty obvious here its not) why should it be a problem?

9. Shitkicker McGee says:

I heard Laura McQuilan and Jeff Hayward were in the same table tennis club.

10. Jackson Wood says:

In my defence the internship is part of the Honours program, a paper that I recommend for any 3rd year Political Science student who is considering doing honours next year. I don’t think I’ve ever written anything overtly Green, perhaps the interview with Gareth Hughes.
    Comment, you failed to mention my attempts at starting a satirical political party earlier in the year, which was unfortunately been dashed on the rocky shore of apathy.

DAFT TILL I DYE

11. Max says:

It is fairly naïve (absurd, even) to expect that Salient reporters can ever be free of political bias (or any reporters for that matter). Tristan is affiliated with NORML, Jackson with the Greens…etc. As I see it, Conrad’s article is one of the best Eye on Exec’s this year (though that is not saying too much) – well written and free from any obvious bias. So, get over it.

12. Shitkicker McGee says:

Fuck off COnerad.

13. Meow says:

This sentance is amazing:

the whole column read like a blowjob on paper. I mean, get a load of this flagrant piece of biased fellatio

14. Michael Oliver says:

My name’s Michael Oliver. A bup bup bup

15. Michael Oliver says:

Is that really Michael Oliver? Is Michael Oliver… for real?

16. Thats not me Shit Kicker McGee, check the IPs. seriouzly.

17. Jenna Powell says:

I think it is good when different people do eye on exec. It is a good idea to share it round and get different peeps take on stuff that goes down. Although I find Conrad’s take on meetings a tad sickening and uncritical (wheres the political satire man! It makes the world a better place!) it could be argued that I am overtly critical of the exec and am a total bitch (I don’t think so but whatev). But yeah: eye on exec: opinion piece: different opinions: a more overall balanced perspective of the shit pile that is student politics.

hehe
    biased fellatio

18. Michael Oliver says:

Lindsay Perigo tapped to write Eye on Exec column, peppers article with hilarious references to “cowardly custards” and “socialist sausages,” spoon-feeds Rynd poster while listening to Turandot. Developing…

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan