September 15, 2008 | by  | in Music |

Interview with Nick Brinkman from Over the Atlantic

Who are Over the Atlantic when they’re not playing music, and how do they pay the bills?

We don’t really exist as anything when we are not playing music. That is simply all there is to us. I shouldn’t really say this in an interview, but when I’m not doing music, sex pays my bills. But I also do a bit of video editing on the side too. The other guys, well I shouldn’t expose their personal lives to the public without asking them first.

What’s your collective musical history – how long has OTA been going, what did you do before, etc?

Over the Atlantic has been going since 2004. That was when we booked our first show at Happy bar in Wellington. There have been many changes since then. Line-up changes, personal changes and even environmental changes. I have been playing music since I was about 11 years old. And for some reason, continued to pursue such a ridiculous career. I was in a band called Ejector before I created Over the Atlantic. That ended when my passion for loud rock music disappeared into thin air. I used to paint lots and take photos and go on adventures in my spare time.

You’ve just been on a massive tour – where have you been, and have you noticed any major differences between NZ audiences and audiences elsewhere?

We have been right around the world basically. Starting in North America, then to UK, then to Europe and then finishing up in Australia after stopping off in Hong Kong for some petrol. I think the audiences overseas are just generally cooler .They dress better, the girls are hotter, the boys are hotter, they party harder, and they clap harder!

Any amusing escapades and antics from tour that you’d like to relate?

Oh Jesus, I don’t think I should elaborate on any of the tour stories. Not because they are naughty or super exciting. Probably because they are boring and it would seem a shame to tell you a story that wasn’t even exciting. We are a very well behaved band that has strict policies.

Explain your music to me as if I was a modern teenager reared exclusively on C4 programming.

I would say the music of Over the Atlantic is very uncool and kitsch, but with an enthusiasm for Ernest Adams melodies. Music that tastes like a good vegetarian pie. It’s kinda like soft rock perhaps. But with no distortion.

What can we expect from your live show – is your audience primarily head nodders or head bangers?

Oh, I would love it if we got head bangers to our live shows! I just don’t think head bangers can relate to us. To be honest with you, we are more likely to get shoe gazers over head bangers. But I do encourage head bangers or nodders to attend our shows. You can expect to hear music that your dad would like if you come to our shows. Gosh, I am not very good at selling my band, am I? But the funny thing is, I am being serious. Maybe a young dad when I mention the word ‘dad’.

What are your thoughts on the state of the NZ indie scene at the moment – thriving or barely clinging to life?

Well I haven’t been in the country for 5 months, so I have no idea what the scene is like in NZ right now. But that’s OK, because I hate indie and I hate scenes. So it’s probably best I don’t know what’s going on at present. But I will be positive and say that it is thriving!

Can you recommend any good local bands for our readers?

I can definitely recommend these local talents: Little Pictures, Red Steers, Mount Pleasant, Secret Knives, Hot Swiss Mistress and Nikky Brinkman. That’s all I can think of right now!

1