It’s not just Indian students who can stay longer

In response to recent media coverage of the Government’s scheme to entice more Indian students to New Zealand tertiary institutions, including an article in last week’s issue of Salient, the Department of Labour has clarified that all international students who complete a New Zealand qualification could qualify to apply for a Graduate Work Search Visa or permit.

International students who gain qualifications that qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant category can apply from the permit, which was extended in November 2007 from six to 12 months in duration.

However, there are catches. According to the Department, “Students have to apply for the permit within three months after the end date of their student permit and would have to meet all relevant requirements, including evidence of sufficient funds to maintain their stay for the 12 month period.”

Editor for 2010, politics nerd, panda fan and three-time award-winning student journalist.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot