More Indian students enticed to New Zealand

Immigration packages under a Government initiative are being used to entice more students from India to study at New Zealand tertiary institutions.

Indian students are being offered a nine-month extension to their student visa after graduation to allow them to find a job and apply for a work permit.

The initiative resulted in a 25 per cent increase in the number of Indian students studying in New Zealand last year.

Another benefit of the initiative for Indian students is if they get a New Zealand passport, they can travel on to Australia without a visa.

Trade Commissioner (South Asia) of New Zealand Trade and Enterprise Paul Vaughn told The Indian Express that “New Zealand as an education destination is witnessing tremendous growth in terms of [the] number of international students.”

“We have seen a 131 per cent increase in the number of student visas issued compared to last year,” he said.

Representatives from tertiary education institutions around the country, including Victoria, participated in a six-day fair in India last week in an attempt to promote the initiative.

Pro Vice-Chancellor (International) Rob Rabel said: “Like all universities around New Zealand, Victoria University is looking at attracting more students from India,”

However, he added: “Often Indian students prefer studying at Australian institutions which offer one-year taught Masters courses.”

Editor for 2010, politics nerd, panda fan and three-time award-winning student journalist.

1. Yulia says:

What is the reason for New Zealand government to sapport Indian students? And Is it just for Indian students.Im wondering about Korean and Russian ?

2. vibhor says:

yulia, i am an indian student, going to go to new zealand in 3 months….

The new zealand government doesnt specially prefer indian students, this article was just in context of indian students, the benefits and requirements are the same for all international students. Cheers, and peace!

3. ompraksh says:

SIR PLEASE YOU GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION.
    I AM INDIAN
    MY STUDY DOING IN SINGAPORE NOW
    MY STUDY FINISH IN SINGAPORE NEXT MONTH
    MY STUDY DOING IN SINGAPORE HOTEL MANAGEMENT
    AFTER FINISH STUDY IN SINGAPORE I WANT TO DO STUDY IN NEWZELAND
    I WANT APPLY STUDENT VISA NEWZELAND AMMBASSY IN SINGAPORE
    WHICH DOCUMENT REQUIRED, PLEASE CAN YOU INFORM ME

4. Charan Dhaliwal says:

i am a student from india.i have done 3 year diploma in information technology.now i want to do my b.tech from new zealand.please give me necessary details regarding how 2 choose a university,accomodation,and other details regarding studies

5. amit says:

Hello sir,
    Could u please say the current position of part time jobs for international students as I want to study Master’s in New Zealand. In what time I can get part time job after I arrived there. Availability of part time jobs and average wage that I can get through it? What is the average tuition fee for electronics & communication engineering? Are universities and government providing scholarships for international students? If u can, please compare Australia and New Zealand based on educational sector. Hope u’ll give better answer bcoz we don’t know anything.

6. Gordon from Glasgow says:

What in tha hell? This site issynay Yahoo! Answers lad. This is a news site. Student fooking media mon. It’s fairly obvious that you dinea knoo anything.

I suggest fooking getting off ewer arses and findin’ tha information out fur ya’selves. If ewe wanta’ du masters then ya better stoop bein’ so fookin lazy.

7. OI says:

U LEAF HIM AL0NE HE SAID HE WAS MY FROND.

8. Patrick Coelho says:

I think this article is a terribly biased one. Not all Indian students come here for the purpose of immigration as this article makes it out to be. Also, the visa extension is, I believe, for all students, not just for those from India. I would be happier if Salient stayed away from such ridiculous ‘issues’ which tend towards being racist.

9. Hank Scorpioooo says:

i’d be happier if you stayed away from salient full stop ahahahaha

10. What? says:

Excuse me Patrick, but absolutely nothing in the article states that students are coming here for the purpose of immigration. Nor does it say anything about race. The article simply reports a VUW initiative to attract more Indian students, for the purpose of study; it reported the initiative because it tries to report all Vic initiatives. How you could possibly interpret this as having anything whatsoever to do with racism is beyond me. Thus your cotribution to this post was quite possibly the most irrelevant and inane comment possible. In future, please read articles before making irrelevant comments.

11. Hank Scorpio says:

yes you can live with me and smackdown

12. shahid says:

i am indian and i am going to new zealand

how to prossizer in going to new zealand

13. shahid says:

muje new zealand jana he magar muje pata nahi he kis tarah ki prossizer he muje turrist visa pe jana he or xpence kitna hoga min or max what is the prossizar

14. Patrick Coelho says:

In response to What’s post about my comment, I did not say that the article is racist. I said that it is terribly biased and said that ‘Salient’ should take up issues that do not tend to have racist undertones.

15. Hank Scorpio says:

This article’s over a year old and… you know, Patrick, it’s much easier to call you stupid.