New University big-wig appointed

The University has appointed Professor Penny Boumelha as the new Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), a position currently held by Professor David Mackay, who will be retiring in January 2009.

Boumelha holds a Master of Arts and a Doctorate in Philosophy from the University of Oxford. She has lectured at the University of Western Australia and has participated in a number of academic development and review boards in New Zealand and Australia.

In 1997, she was elected a Fellow of the Academy of the Humanities, and in 2003 she was awarded the Centenary Medal by the Australian government for service to Australian society and the humanities in English language and literature.

Boumelha is currently Jury Professor of English Language and Literature at the University of Adelaide, where she was also Deputy Vice-Chancellor from 1999 to 2005.

“Penny brings a wealth of academic and management experience to this role from a distinguished career at the University of Adelaide. I am delighted she has accepted this position and I look forward to working with her as Victoria University implements its new strategic plan,” Victoria University’s Vice- Chancellor Pat Walsh said.

“Her leadership and experience will ensure Victoria continues to produce high quality graduates, with a particular focus on enhancing students’ overall experience at Victoria and continuing to improve the teaching and learning capability of the University.”

Boumelha will take up the position on 2 February 2009.

1