University offers new design degree

The University has announced plans to introduce a new three-year Bachelor of Design Innovation (BDI), offering three specialisations in Culture+Context, Industrial and Media.

According to Head of School Professor Simon Fraser, the degree – to be implemented from 2009 – will provide students with more variety in the qualifications that are available as well as a greater opportunity to tailor their course of study according to their individual interest and intended careers.

“Design is increasingly understood as a multidisciplinary activity. Because of the growing importance of collaborative work, the ability to work effectively across disciplines and in multi-disciplinary teams is a critical workplace competency for new graduates,”

The Bachelor of Design Innovation will replace the Digital Media Design and Industrial Design programmes within the fouryear Bachelor of Design degree. A Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture or Landscape Architecture will remain intact.

A new field of Interaction Design, concerned with shaping a user’s experience as they interact with intelligent objects, smart environments and other people, will also be available as a minor for students specialising in Industrial or Media design. It is the first such qualification in New Zealand.

Students enrolled in Culture+Context will also be offered minors from a wide range of complementary disciplines within Victoria University such as film, anthropology, Maori studies or marketing, in addition to their studies in design.

The three-year undergraduate degree will lead into a two-year Master of Design Innovation (MDI), to be introduced in 2012 pending approval from the New Zealand Committee on University Academic Programmes.

Fraser explained: “A Bachelor of Design Innovation more accurately reflects the experimental approach to design and design education that we practice at Victoria.”

“Since innovation can only be achieved by research, these two-tier qualifications signal the research-led nature of our programmes that students will be exposed to, and participating in, from day one.”

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot