Vic Maori Association nominated for Maori Language award

Ngai Tauira, the Victoria University Maori Students’ Association was nominated for Best Contribution to Te Reo from a Tertiary Provider at last week’s Maori Language Week Awards – Nga Tohu Wiki Reo Maori – held at the Duxton on Friday 12 September. Ever gracious in defeat, the majority of the Ngai Tauira delegation decided to come to terms with their loss to Auckland University by heading to the bar.

The defeat didn’t put a dampener on the night that included speeches, dancing and as could be expected a liberal dose of humour. Electronic translators were appreciated by the ignorant non-Te Reo speaking audience members (myself included). Somewhat understandably, Ngai Tauira were seated as far away from anyone of any importance (most notably TV3, Minister for Maori Affairs Parekura Horomia and Waitangi Tribunal chief Judge, Joe Williams) as possible. The mood amongst the table took a turn for the worse when we found out that no alcohol was to be served during the award giving itself but this subsided when food was brought out and wine eventually followed.

Winners included The Gisborne Herald, which won the print media category; Wellington City Council won the local body organisation category; and for the fourth year running, TV3 won the Television category for the use of Te Reo in the television media. For the second time TV3 was also judged winner of one of the two Supreme Awards presented. As noted by a particularly red headed Ngai Tauira member, Pakeha accepted seven of the eleven awards and as could be expected, the ceremony wrapped with some Maori guitar and dancing.

Fun times had by all.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan