Vic students recognised at Parliament

20 Victoria University students were recognised at Parliament recently as participants of the University’s parliamentary internship programme.

The internship programme is a full-year honours-level course that has been offered by the University’s Political Science and International Relations programme since 2000. It is designed to provide selected postgraduate students with an insight into the parliamentary processes and the various roles and responsibilities of MPs.

On 9 September, following a notice of motion on the parliamentary order paper, the House of Representatives formally thanked the 20 participants of this year’s internship programme, as well as programme coordinators Professors Stephen Levine and Nigel Roberts of the University’s Political Science department.

The notice of motion was presented by Labour MP Barnett, who after eight years of partaking in the internship programme, is retiring from Parliament.

Salient political editor Jackson Wood, who has spent the past year interning with Green MP Sue Kedgley, said: “The internship is an awesome programme and I recommend it to any students wishing to pursue a career in the public sector.”

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. Jackson Wood says:

Not sure why it is under my name… because I didn’t write it!

1