What’s your global handprint?

Today more than ever we face problems on a global scale – human rights violations, climate change, war, poverty, violence against women and children – and we are faced with the choice of either making a harmful impact or thinking about how we can create a positive legacy.

Please think about the following statements:

The effects of your actions and leaving behind a positive legacy. Let’s acknowledge that to make global change we need to start by thinking locally and challenging individuals to take action. What are you doing to support effective change? How can you participate in changing lives? What’s your mark going to be? Reflect on the past and look toward the future. Let’s make good mental health a global issue and think about how we can support this goal. Let’s ask community leaders, whanau, local councils, iwi, employers, and individuals: What is your global handprint?

Mental Health Awareness Week: Monday 6th – Sunday 12th October

Making mental health a global priority is the theme of World Mental Health Day 2008.

The New Zealand Mental Health Awareness Week 2008 theme builds on last year’s theme of recognizing the importance of our relationship with the land and valuing diversity. Key messages are:

• It’s in your hands: make good mental health a priority in your life

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has”. – Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

• Reach out: make connections and increase understanding “All knowledge should be translated into action.” – Albert Einstein

• Put your hand up: Be an advocate for positive change and social inclusion “The passionate are the only advocates who always persuade. The simplest man with passion will be more persuasive than the most eloquent without.” – René Descartes, Philosopher

WHAT’S ON AT VIC DURING MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK?

Pre-Exam Pamper – FREE BBQ sizzle and other goodies Kelburn Campus in the Quad, Tuesday 7th October @ 11:45 – 1:45 Te Aro Campus in the Entrance, Wednesday 8th October @ 12-1

Global Handprint Display – come and place your handprint
Kelburn Campus in the Quad, Tuesday 7th October @ 11:45 – 1:45 Beside the Pre-Exam Pamper This display is travelling around Wellington locations

Student Seminars
“Sadness to Gladness” What to do when you’re feeling down Presented by Student Health Psychiatrist Dr John Gregson
1-2pm Tuesday 7th October
Ian Gordon Room (Level 1, right entrance in the Library Foyer – look for the signs)

“Party Pills -The Real Deal”
Recreational Drug Use Presented by Dr Paul Quigley – Emergency Medicine Specialist, Wellington Hospital
12-1pm Thursday 9th October
Meeting Room 1, Student Union Building

What Can YOU Do?
Take time out for yourself – relaxation, exercise, creativity and pleasurable activities Make connections by listening and helping others to achieve their goals Be an advocate for diversity & social inclusion Challenge stigma and discrimination about mental illness

Rachel Walton
Mental Health Coordinator
Student Counselling