October 3, 2008 | by  | in Online Only |

A leaked email penned by Sonny + Jasmine’s press release

I was forwarded a certain email by three different sources this afternoon. The said email is one sent by Sonny Thomas (or at least sent from his email address) to Jasmine Freemantle, the day after the election results were announced. The contents of it are below:

———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Sonny Thomas
Date: Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:17 PM
Subject:
To: jasminefreemantle@gmail.com

will you just get a life and move on. You bloody people are pathetic.
It’s clear the only reason you needed to win was because your party
needs an office in wellington or you’d die.

You won, leave it at that

When asked whether any prior communication had taken place between the pair to prompt Thomas to pen this email, Freemantle told Salient that she had never “emailed, phoned, etc [Thomas] in my life.”

“The last time I’ve had any communication with [him] was when I shook his hand after the results were announced.”

Freemantle added that she had not responded to the email.

In response to Thomas’ press release, published earlier today, Freemantle provided Salient with her own, as follows:

Media Release: Jasmine Freemantle to lead VUWSA in 2009

Workers’ Party member Jasmine Freemantle was elected President of the Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association (VUWSA) for 2009 last night.

Freemantle was elected by a comfortable majority over her Labour Party rival Sonny Thomas, after a heated campaign that fuelled the highest voter turn out in a VUWSA election since the early 1990s.

Thomas is the author of a controversial VUWSA ‘Change Proposal’ document, which aims at introducing Rogernomic-style reforms to VUWSA. These include the contracting out of Orientation, handing clubs administration to the University, and turning student magazine Salient into a business unit.

Freemantle stood on a platform of opposition to the Change Proposal document. Her campaign also highlighted the lack of living support for students, which continues after nine years of a Labour-led government.

“As the Vic Labour candidate Sonny Thomas was advocating reforms like those his party inflicted upon students and workers in the 1980s” says President elect Jasmine Freemantle.

“This election was in part a referendum on this ‘Change Proposal’ and students have resoundingly shown what they think of Labour’s right wing agenda at both campus and government level.”

Freemantle is the third Workers’ Party member to be elected VUWSA President, the first being current Wgtn Tramways Union President Nick Kelly, and the second being current VUWSA President Joel Cosgrove.

In 2009 Freemantle will be joined by two other Workers’ Party members on her student executive, Marika Pratley and Sam Oldham – the two highest polling candidates running for the five general executive positions.

Freemantle last served on the VUWSA executive as Women’s Rights Officer in 2002. She is currently Assistant Lecturer in Gender and Women’s Studies at Victoria University, a discipline currently under attack by University management.

ENDS

1. Michael Oliver says:

So, assuming this is true, does Sonny think being elected VUWSA President is like being elected prom queen? Because that’s exactly what he’s acting like there.

“FUCK YOU JASMINE, MY DRESS WAS, LIKE, WAY HOTTER.”

2. Michael Oliver says:

which, by the way, was true – Sonny’s dress was pretty goddamn spectacular.

3. Abimael Fitzjacobs says:

Honestly, Labour Party careerists need to but out of student politics!!!

Serial whinger Sonny Thomas should fuck off and let capable lefties run the show :).

4. Magnus says:

Freemantle? A capable leftie? Please, Miss Freemantle is barely aware that VUWSA has financial problems, and has even less of an idea how to address them. When asked for her own ideas on how to address the issues, all she could come up with was orientation, with no mention as that she’d ACTUALLY DO to it to make it less of a financial black hole.
    I’d far rather see a president who has some financial sense running the place than some deluded far left reactionary committed to wasting students time and money by campaigning on some thing as unsustainable and out of her control as the elimination of student debt.
    Mr Thomas actually got off his arse, driven by a commitment to sustainable student welfare, and drew up a fully fledged proposal to make VUWSA a more functional and transparent organisation. Although I’m not personally in favor of the whole proposal, it is a step in the right direction. Miss Freemantle, by contrast, has done nothing in the way of formulating sustainable policies on improving the way VUWSA runs, nor has she actually come up with any new ideas in her campaign about anything at all and if there is one thing that VUWSA needs right now, it’s new and sustainable ideas, not the usual extreme left deluded bullshit.
    Congratulations Vic Uni on your dumbest vote since Nick Kelly. What ever shit deal that comes your way from the exec in 2009, don’t be stupid enough to complain about it. You all had the opportunity to elect some one with a brain and you pissed it away. It just goes to show what a bunch of 24 carat piss-ants you all are.
    Mark my words, if you think 2008’s Exec was useless, 2009 under Freemantle will take VUWSA to all new depths of redundancy.

5. mystery says:

Magnus are you Sonny Thomas?

6. ? says:

“I’d far rather see a president who has some financial sense running the place”
    Id rather see a some sort of qualified person making financial decisions than some elected represntative with no fucking clue. Thus trumping either sonny or jasmine. at lest jasmine is older, hopefully more mature than sonny who struggled with pols 111.

“than some deluded far left reactionary committed to wasting students time and money”
    id rather see a president who cared about students. not just making pissy changes to vuwsa.

“Mr Thomas actually got off his arse”
    laws of gravity fail

” driven by a commitment to sustainable student welfare, and drew up a fully fledged proposal to make VUWSA a more functional and transparent organisation.”
    not true. he relied on joel cosgrove and if you beleive sonny he had nick kellys help. the proposal only addressed like 1/10th of the problem. the real problem is peeple like him and jasmine becoming president and fuicking shit up.

Miss Freemantle, by contrast, has done nothing in the way of formulating sustainable policies on improving the way VUWSA runs
    shes been too busy being a post grad studnet and a junior lecturer? after all university is about learning. not just about that pathetic thing that probab;y like 1 in evry 10 studnets knows about, vuwsa.

“Congratulations Vic Uni on your dumbest vote since Nick Kelly.”
    more people voted than ever before. you calling students dumb? chances are your
    probably a freind of sonnys, which makes sense because he called the other candidates jokes. just reinforces what some elected people think of their constituent.s

“You all had the opportunity to elect some one with a brain and you pissed it away”
    well. jasmine does have a degree / sonny does not. jasmine is a teacher / sonnys an undergad. jasmine is like 10 years older than sonny.

“Mark my words, if you think 2008’s Exec was u€seless, 2009 under Freemantle will take VUWSA to all new depths of redundancy.”
    vuwsda is about students. it is unsurprising that it will not work if she has to deal with bitter people like you who want her to fail. it is in the best interests of all the knobs in the exec for 2009 to werk togerth so that it isnt a mess. what the studnets need is actually someone who will work selflessly for the students not peple like jasmine or sonny.

7. Dictionary says:

“Far-left reactionary” makes no sense.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reactionary

1. of, pertaining to, marked by, or favoring reaction, esp. extreme conservatism or rightism in politics; opposing political or social change.

8. Electrum Stardust says:

Some good ol’ Indian wisdom (Dhammapada), about letting go:

“Victory begets enmity; the defeated dwell in pain. Happily the peaceful live, discarding both victory and defeat.”

9. Willy Wonka says:

People, people, people! Lets just all pull a westside and work on our two-step and hopefully we’ll get through the year.

Ma’afuckaz

10. Magonagal says:

“Isn’t it ironic” that Jasmine is now praising Sonny for his wisdom and pushing forward with so many of the ideas to be found in the much maligned Change proposal. ??!!

11. learn to read says:

Jasmine has never praised Sonny for his wisdom. They have an incredibly awkward relationship. If you had read the original Change Proposal (penned by Sonny) and actually compared that to the changes the VUWSA exec are undertaking, you would see there is a stark difference between the two.

ooh but its so fun to be reactionary, isn’t it?

learn to read, wanker.

12. Hank Scorpio says:

Magonagal is a doof

13. Sando says:

Why has this thread been hit by a necromancer? And how?!

14. Agannazar the Necromancer says:

Hi Sando, what’s up? You good bro? Dude I am so gonna cast Abi Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting on all these right wing conservation leftisms, they couldn’t make THAT saving throw.

I OWN THE FUCKING PLANAR SPHERE!! Put the politicians into the dimensional nexus man fuck yeah! Send them to the fifth plane, and I don’t mean Airplane starring Leslie Nielsen and Ted Striker! Striker! Striker!

*Hits air hostess*

15. Owlzy says:

I know not who you are, but I like your style. And your necrohookers.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan