The Year in Eye on Exec (kind of)

At the recent Aotearoa Student Press Association (ASPA) awards, I spoke with the presidentelect of Palmerston North’s Massey University, who raised the topic of the VUWSA exec. My conversation with him was one that has become distinctly familiar this year – it was one that I have also had with former Auckland University Student Association (AUSA) President David Do, among many others who understandably seek first-hand confirmation that the reported antics of our exec are actually factual.

In a way, I think our past and present student representatives should find some solace in the fact that despite their numerous shortcomings, inadequacies and failures, they have a reputation that transcends the confines of its own university. This probably, and I’m speaking relatively here, counts as some kind of achievement.

It is nearing 18 months since I attended my first exec meeting. My lasting disdain for the meetings is well-documented, but in what is (hopefully) my last commentary on the exec, I must concede that they have reliably fulfilled their newsworthy value for me in my term as News Editor. It is probably a safe bet that the incoming exec will similarly prove their worth to my successor.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos