The Year in Eye on Exec (kind of)

At the recent Aotearoa Student Press Association (ASPA) awards, I spoke with the presidentelect of Palmerston North’s Massey University, who raised the topic of the VUWSA exec. My conversation with him was one that has become distinctly familiar this year – it was one that I have also had with former Auckland University Student Association (AUSA) President David Do, among many others who understandably seek first-hand confirmation that the reported antics of our exec are actually factual.

In a way, I think our past and present student representatives should find some solace in the fact that despite their numerous shortcomings, inadequacies and failures, they have a reputation that transcends the confines of its own university. This probably, and I’m speaking relatively here, counts as some kind of achievement.

It is nearing 18 months since I attended my first exec meeting. My lasting disdain for the meetings is well-documented, but in what is (hopefully) my last commentary on the exec, I must concede that they have reliably fulfilled their newsworthy value for me in my term as News Editor. It is probably a safe bet that the incoming exec will similarly prove their worth to my successor.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough