February 23, 2009 | by  | in News |

A Vice-Presidential Introduction

Kia ora koutou, ko Freya Eng ahau.

I’m the Vice President (Education) of VUWSA, your students’ association. We are a collective body that is elected to represent you. We provide many services in welfare, representation and education advocacy.

That’s where I come in. As Vice President (Education), it is my job to make sure Class Representatives and Faculty Delegates are elected and that the processes and systems of this run smoothly.

In addition to this, the Education Team can help you when you have issues over staff and student conduct, academic grievances and academic integrity and plagiarism.

I will also be the editor and oversee the publication of the Alternative Student Guide this year, which collates students’ reviews of courses, giving you a better understanding of what you’re spending your money on.

I chair Student Representative Councils (SRC), including the Initial General Meeting (IGM), the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Special General Meetings (SGM), the first of which will be to confirm student support of the VUWSA Trust’s potential contribution to the awesome CampusHub plan, which would greatly improve the Quad, the library and space for clubs, as well as providing more retail and food outlets on campus. This will be held on Wednesday 4th of March at 12pm in the Quad. You should all come along and have your say, as it affects you!

I also sit on the Academic Board to represent you before the university and look after the academic representative groups VicCom (Commerce), LSS (Law), STUDIO (Architecture) and PGSA (Post-Graduate). I aim this year to help organise a representative group for students of the New Zealand School of Music, as well as Education students at Karori Campus.

In those few hours between doing those things, I am LLB and BA (Gender and Women’s Studies) student, and Co-President of UniQ.

I’d really recommend to new students to really get involved in student life – join a club or representative group. It’s the best way to make new friends and to benefit from one of the many services that VUWSA offers you. The list of clubs and representative groups is in the front of your VUWSA diary.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me if you have any questions about what I, or VUWSA in general, can do for you. I’m glad to help.

Have a great year at New Zealand’s best university, in New Zealand’s best city!

Freya Eng, Vice President (Education)

As the Vice-President (Administration) I am responsible for the VUWSA budget and also helping out clubs and rep groups with their budgets and looking after their accounts. I also work with the executive and staff of the association in managing their budgets. If I can help you our your club then please come and see me in the VUWSA office or email me at avp@vuwsa.org.nz

My plan for this year is to manage the Associations’ expenses so that the association runs a surplus to rebuild our reserved so we do not collapse. Also I will be working on the accounts policies to help ensure that everything works long after I leave.

Regards,
Alexander Neilson, Vice President (Administration)

Hey I’m Seamus, Your Vice President (Welfare) for 2009.

VUWSA has been representing students’ for 110 years. Fighting for your interests and drawing on our collective strength as the student body to make your time at university worthwhile.

As Vice President (Welfare) it is my job to advocate on behalf of you to ensure you’re adequately supported and looked after during study. VUWSA offers a plethora of welfare orientated services for students that are designed to make your life that little bit easier.

I work make sure that the VUWSA Food Bank runs smoothly, so you can easily access it when you need too. It’s easy to use and open between 12 and 2 PM Monday to Friday. You can also pick up some lovely free bread every Wednesday and Friday from the VUWSA reception.

I also coordinate the Campus Angels service. Together we are working to make sure students studying late can get home safely. Campus Angels are a super amazing elite force of people that you can find on both the Kelburn and Law School Libraries.

Take advantage of the VUWSA Stress Free Study Weeks before trimester one and two exams. You can get free breakfasts the whole week at Kelburn and Pipitea, massages, and if you study down at Te Aro, we’ll be seeing for outrageous Midnight Feasts.

Keep an eye out near winter to get your free flu shot. No one likes being the ghastly sick person with a never ending running nose in a lecture. Get a flu shot! It’s free could make your winter far less miserable. We’ll even treat you to a movie, tea, coffee and biscuits while you wait.

I am also the student representative on the University’s Student Hardship Committee. Every student gives about $14 to the Hardship Fund which then gives out money to hard up students through an application process. So don’t hesitate to use it.

A key thing I want to achieve this year is raising people’s awareness of what VUWSA can do for them. Therefore, this year will see a bi-monthly Welfare column in Salient, as well as the return of VUWSA publications such as the Sex Mag, Cook Book, International Student Guide, Flatting Guide and Know Your Rights.

This year VUWSA has a new dedicated Welfare Advocate. Seann can help you with any grievances, or other issues you may face including course workload, Studylink, the University or WINZ.

Outside of VUWSA I’ve somehow found myself in the final year of a History and International Relation/Politics degree. So pop into my office on the ground floor of the Student Union Building if you have any questions about what I do, how I can help you or any other issues you might have. Don’t suffer in silence! VUWSA is here for you, so use us!

Seamus Brady, Vice President (Welfare)

1