February 23, 2009 | by  | in News |

Bricklayer begins smoko break ten minutes into working day

A 37-year-old bricklayer has astounded virtually no one by beginning his smoko break ten minutes into the working day.

Barry “Baz” McGurry, a former unemployment beneficiary and self-professed “piss sinkin’ superstar” from Newtown, arrived at Hitchens Construction’s Ngauranga site Monday morning, poured himself a cuppa and proceeded to spend ten minutes yelling about the previous weekend’s Super 14 results to anyone within earshot.

McGurry’s traditional morning ritual was widely regarded as a norm amongst colleagues at Hitchens Construction.

“Yeah, nah, he’s a bit of a character, eh,” said crane operator Richard “Big Dick” Clarke.

“He rocks on up, takes a look at the bricks, nods to himself, then says, ‘Right. Smoko time’ – just like fuckin’ clockwork.”

McGurry, sporting a t-shirt that said ‘I want a wife I can centre fold up and keep in the kitchen’ was unashamed of his daily ritual.

“Fuckin’ oath, I love it. I roll into work half pissed, dick around for a bit, then have a lie down,” McGurry said.

“It’s the fuckin’ business, eh.”

He then proceeded to belch loudly and proclaim, “YEEEEAH BOOOOY!”

McGurry’s manager Stan Wilson expressed a longing for his immobile employee to partake in some sort of work-related activity, but recognised his laziness was not without cause.

“Barry’s had a rough go as of late. He lost his wallet at the pubs, he had court last week for some drink driving thing, and his girlfriend of two weeks, Sharon, left him – literally – passed out on the driveway last Thursday morning,” said Wilson.

“Thursdays is as close to the weekend as any day, so it’d be a bit of a kick up the arse to make a big deal about it.”

When asked by Salient whether he intends to expand his ritual into other parts of the day, McGurry was hopeful.

“Shit, if I take a nap in the storage shed now, I’ll be up in time to knock off. Fuckin’ oath, I’m tired,” he said.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. wot says:

Sounds like my brother.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos