February 23, 2009 | by  | in News |

Go VUWSA, Go to Orientation!

Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association (VUWSA) extend a big welcome to both new and returning students.

VUWSA is your students’ association. When you enrol at Victoria University you automatically become a member of the students’ association.

The VUWSA team has been working hard over the summer in preparation for a stimulating and rewarding year for Victoria students in 2009.

VUWSA recently approved and published our 2009 Strategic and Operational Plan, something which hasn’t been done properly in the past. This Plan outlines the work that VUWSA will do during 2009, and how we will go about achieving the goals of the association in order to best serve you—our members.

The summer months have also seen a major upgrade of the VUWSA website. This upgrade will allow students to be better informed about what VUWSA is up to, and will also enhance the delivery of services to students. Check out www.vuwsa.org.nz

For most students however, the 2009 University year kicks off with Orientation. In past years, Orientation has largely focused on a few big on–campus gigs. This year VUWSA wanted to do something a little different.

For starters, although orientating students to campus life is important, so too is orientating students to Wellington. We are pleased to bring you an exciting array of both on and off campus events so that you can get a taste of the best VUWSA and Wellington has to offer in a safe and enjoyable environment.

Victoria’s student population is also very diverse, comprising over 20,000 students, all with their own views, needs and interests. With this in mind, VUWSA have organised Orientation ‘09 in order to cater to the broadest possible student audience.

VUWSA has worked closely with a variety of organisations and individuals so that we can deliver the best Orientation possible. In particular (and for the first time in VUWSA history), we have worked closely with the Victoria Broadcasting Club (VBC) to bring you several Orientation events.

VUWSA’s Orientation programme includes an excellent array of gigs and other live shows.

Choose from Katchafire’s student-only show (2 March), Wow (3 March), The Dead C (6 March), SKA-B-Q (The Finest in Aotearoa Ska, 7 March), or Arte-Nomade (13 March).

If you’re in the mood for something a little less rowdy, check out the Adam Art Gallery Opening (3 March) or Exhibition Lecture (5 March).

Alternatively, try the Comedy Night (4 March), Pool Comp (9 March), Quiz Night (10 March), Pub Crawl (12 March), or the infamous Great Debate (5 March).

While evening events are an important part of Orientation, so too is the expansive day time programme.

Golden Axe (26 February) provide pre-lecture entertainment, and DJ Freq Nasty’s Meet and Greet (5 March) is sure to be a hit. Be sure to come along to VUWSA’s Special General Meeting (4 March), where a formal mandate concerning the commitment of funds toward the Campus Hub project will be sought. Later in the week, test your stamina at the Swim Run 101 (6 March), before relaxing at the Hang Over Hangi (8 March).

VUWSA has also substantially expanded the quantity and quality of our Orientation Clubs Days, in order to provide students the widest possible access to VUWSA’s extensive range of sports and cultural clubs, along with representative groups. VUWSA–affiliated clubs and rep groups play a crucial role in student life, and offer students a way to meet people with similar interests and a chance to try new experiences. Clubs Days run from 10am–2pm every day during the first week of trimester in the Quad on the Kelburn campus, from 11am–1pm on Tuesday 10 at the Te Aro campus, and from 11am–1pm on Thursday 12 at Pipitea.

Students based at the Karori campus can look forward to VUWSA’s upcoming Karaoke and Quiz Night (19 March), which follows on from the highly successful VUWSA Orientation Day held at Karori earlier this year.

Whether you rock to you drop or opt for a pick n’ mix sample of Orientation offerings, remember to have fun, stay safe, and make the most of the student experience.

In solidarity and service,

1