February 12, 2009 | by  | in Theatre |

Hot Drinks And Spoken Words

Jerome Chandrahasen, Daniel McCelland and TJ McDonald
Fringe Bar
17 – 20 February

Poetic Violence and Broken Rhymes

Three of Wellington’s finest comic minds combine to bring you a sharp jolt of stand up with toppings of musical and character comedy. Witness the Festival debut of New Zealand’s premier beat poetry exponents the Lemon Barley Trio. Guaranteed to amuse, and possibly confuse.

Hot Drinks and Spoken Words includes new stand up routines from Comedy Festival TJ McDonald and Jerome Chandrahasen with the original singer-songwriter style of Daniel McClelland. Covering topics from religion to caffeine, Hot Drinks delivers a real blend of comedy.

It also features The Lemon Barley Trio, a brand new faux beat poetry duo created by TJ and Jerome. They will perform their greatest (and only) hit poems including their omnivore epic, ‘Assorted Meats’ and ode to Wellington ‘Can’t Beat it on a Good Day’. Comedic beat poetry at its most raw, heartfelt and ridiculous.

Jerome Chandrahasen has performed in every NZ Comedy Festival since 2004. His unique brand of comedy saw him gain a nomination for the prestigious Billy T Award in 2006. His at times unconventional performances have both delighted and bewildered audiences and critics alike.

Daniel McClelland’s life story focuses on his youth, beard, joie de vivre and coffee addiction. In brief, he’s a musician, bringing to musical comedy what Schwarznegger brought to 80s cinema, one-liners and a larger than life persona. Onstage, McClelland’s “incendiary guitar playing” – (Capital Times) brings a variety of genres and ideas to his audiences. Offstage he works in IT. This internal conflict of rockstar/geek brings a humour to his performances that have set abuzz local bars and Wellington’s 2008 Comedy Festival.

TJ McDonald has been on the New Zealand comedy scene since 2004. He is a regular performer and MC at the Wellington Comedy Club.

Definitely worth the $12 that students will pay!

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. Moomama says:

Funny funny funny so there man!

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties